• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

contructive criticism wanted - critique me

"The critique should be about the work's merit (or lack thereof), not the writer."

The problem is that when a person creates something artistic in nature, like a written piece, or music, or painting, and then puts it out for comments, it's very hard for the creator not to take the comments personally. Especially the negative comments. Simon Cowell never tells anybody they are not a good person, but when he tells somebody they suck at singing they get overly emotional about it and take it personally. Same thing has happened here with the writers showcase. It is very hard for a budding author to get negative feedback and not think it's a personal attack.

The question is, should that be something the person who critques keeps in mind, or should the person posting the work be accountable for being mature enough to handle the comments, good and bad, without taking it personally?

Motokid said:
The question is, should that be something the person who critques keeps in mind, or should the person posting the work be accountable for being mature enough to handle the comments, good and bad, without taking it personally?

How about both? I think the person who critiques should say what he/she thinks but tell it in a way that isn' t cruel..
and the artist/ author should be able to handle critique... i just think that we should try to help and let others try to help us...

Motokid said:
"The critique should be about the work's merit (or lack thereof), not the writer."

The problem is that when a person creates something artistic in nature, like a written piece, or music, or painting, and then puts it out for comments, it's very hard for the creator not to take the comments personally. Especially the negative comments. Simon Cowell never tells anybody they are not a good person, but when he tells somebody they suck at singing they get overly emotional about it and take it personally. Same thing has happened here with the writers showcase. It is very hard for a budding author to get negative feedback and not think it's a personal attack.
That's their problem. Simon is just telling the truth, and if they aren't mature enough to handle it, oh well.

Motokid said:
One quality that makes a person good at something (wether it be writing, sports, etc.) is the ability to take constructive criticism positively and use it to improve. And a good critic should know to use constructive criticism, not just hammer on the person in a mean way. If a critic does that to a writer, the writer should be able to tell and blow past it.

I'm not sure I know how to say this without sounding like a jerk, but, WTF...

I think there are only a very few with enough of "it" to be great at anything...

I don't think "it" is talent, but something more primal. Those who post a poorly written piece of work on a public forum like this, and then run put their head in an oven because they are blasted by an insensitive critic probably don't have what it will take anyway.

The way I look at it is if they are going to write, they are going to write. If something one of the more experienced, more knowledgable critics/authors on this forum says is enough to blow them out, then they would have been blown out eventually anyway. Better now than later.

Why let them build their dreams on false hope? (too cliche?)
Why let them nail their sign to a rotten timber?
Why let them hoist their sail on a sinking ship?
why let them place their bets on a bottle of glue?
why let them ______________________________?
***************(your cliche here)***********

Honestly I think the amount or type of critisism should be at the discretion of the writer. If I ask for a certin type of opinion thats what I hope to get. If I don't want to hear harsh opinions I'll say so and ask that my request is respected.

Writers post their pieces here for certian reasons. Not to know if you don't like it. I don't care if you don't like it. Lots of folks won't like it, but maybe it's just not your type of read. Everyone has a certin type of read they enjoy. I want you to tell me what I've done wrong in a nice way, not harsh way there is no reason for harshness.

Tell me if my writing style is good or bad and how to improve who cares if it's not interesting to you that's not what I asked for. I think you should respectfully get the advice you ask for.

Sorry, hit the wrong button and posted too soon.

I like the new look on your webpage. It looks very nice.

On topic though, I think that if you ask for criticism, don't be shocked if that's what you get. It's the only way we learn.

thanks for the web page comments dele...I forgot about that thread...

on topic....what if the person asking for comments just asks for your "thoughts" and leaves it as broad as that?

Is "thoughts" less of a critique than "constructive criticism"?

Again, if you don't want people to bash it, you might want to ask for helpful thoughts only. I've read a lot of stuff where the authour probably wouldn't want to hear my "thoughts". When asking for constructive criticism, most of us know you aren't asking for us to slam. The whole purpose is to help the author. "Thoughts", on the other hand, is giving permission to be a lot more blatant.

Common courtesy dictates you should always be respectful and courteous, but most people don't stop and think what effect their words have on others.

Back