• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cookery & Bakery Photos

Polly Parrot

Staff member
Title pretty much says it all. Did you make anything recently that looks so durned good it needs to be shared? This is the place to do it. :cool:

Uh-huh. I like to do some baking in the weekend myself so I'll post pictures of that. May do a choccy cake this time. :)

Bobotie:

My recipe (which are always very casual so don't ask for specifics)

about 500g mince meat (lamb or beef or wild animal of your choice) (kudu is good)
mild curry powder - to taste
brown vinegar - about 1/4 cup
chutney - a good few spoonsful
tumeric - a teaspoonish
all spice / mixed spice - a teaspoonish
garlic - several cloves or healthy spoonful if using the preminced one
either a few spoons of apricot jam or a healthy splash of concentrated orange juice

rice - I prefer a slightly sticky rice like Jasmine but any old will do about one cupful
1 spoonful of tumeric or a bit of saffron to colour
cook in usual fashion

braise the mince with the spices - very important to bring out the flavour of curry.
when cooked add the liquids - chutney, vinegar, jam/juice and water (about a cup depending on how much mince you had)
thicken using your preferred method.

layer rice at bottom of baking dish
(note some people like to add raisins in with the rice at this point. I don't! Raisins in food = dead flies!)
cover with layer of mince

make a egg mixture of 2 / 3 eggs (depending on area to cover) with a little milk (about equal to eggs works well) and pour over hot mince. TIP the mince MUST still be hot otherwise the egg tends to sink in and you don't get the nice custard layer on top.

bake in medium oven for 20mins or so until the egg is cooked through.

serve with veggies of choice + a bit of chutney and grated coconut.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__a7AEA8duK7k_UYJQE57wo8I_AAAAAAAABCk_4GuyhqANsnY_s800_DSC_1887.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__kolnmAMphV8_UYJQHu5kbTI_AAAAAAAABCs_ssgtFsLUPVo_s800_DSC_1888.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__FGw2zMyRe6Q_UYJQCd51gKI_AAAAAAAABCc_8EuVe4mOPyc_s800_DSC_1890.jpg

Made a marble cake today with chocolate topping and white chocolate stars for decoration. I haven't had any of it yet so don't know yet if the marble effect was a success, but this is the outside:

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8269_8711709420_c905333b90.jpg

White chocolate stars? I've never seen those. Nice touch. That looks very good.

I'm making curry chicken later on... don't know if it's pretty enough for pictures.

Madeleines I made today.

11628736844_f1316ba8aa.jpg

Yummy photos! I will certainly take a picture of the next thing I cook - they all seem to be desserts here but I'm guessing mains are accepted too?

Back