• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

could some one please explain the ending of chuck Palahniuk's "Survivor" to me?

jigga420

if some one knows the explanation to chuck palahniuks ending to how tender branson survives the plane crash at the end of the novel "survivor" , I would greatly appreciate hearing it. supposedly chuck himself has put out an explanation regarding the ending but I cant find it anywhere. anybody got any ideas ?
*stills scratching his noggin*

PS multiple theories will be fine too.

Well, no one has to offer you any theories here is the explanation direct from Chuck on chuckpalahniuk.net:

The end of Survivor isn't nearly so complicated. It's noted on page 7(8?) that a pile of valuable offerings has been left in the front of the passenger cabin. This pile includes a cassette recorder. Even before our hero starts to dictate his story -- during the few minutes he's supposed to be taking a piss -- he's actually in the bathroom dictating the last chapter into the cassette recorder. It's just ranting, nothing important plot-wise, and it can be interrupted at any point by the destruction of the plane. The minute the fourth engine flames out, he starts the cassette talking, then bails out, into Fertility's waiting arms (she's omniscient, you know). The rest of the book is just one machine whining and bitching to another machine. The crash will destroy the smaller recorder, but the surviving black box will make it appear that Tender is dead.

Back