• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Critique Me!! I want to play too!!

I am pleased that my presence on this forum is the laughing stock of other's misery. Thanks for making me look like a complete idiot. I will do one thing for you guys. I will make sure that I never post again on TBF. I will also contact the moderator, and try with every fiber of my being, to have my posts removed from this board so that you guys don't have to read any more of my repulsive work. Thanks for making my life a miserable hell. Thanks for giving me that final push to never write again which is what I intend to do. Thanks so much.

laboi_22 said:
I am pleased that my presence on this forum is the laughing stock of others misery. Thanks for making me look like a complete idiot. I will do one thing for you guys. I will make sure that I never post again on TBF. I will also contact the moderator and try with every fiber of my being to have my posts removed from this board so that you guys don't have to read my repulsive work. Thanks for making my life a miserable hell. Thanks for giving me that final push to never write again which is what I inted to do. Thanks so much.

As I said, I don't think you are kidding, my only suggestion for you is to stop letting complete strangers run your life, or ruin your life as you put it. You have to be able to take the good with the bad when you publish something, or ask for opinion.

Some of the people who don't like your work have a very strong distaste for some of the best selling work that exists today. Why do take things so personally? Your work might very well be best seller material. Write for yourself, not everyone else.

I do write for myself and it's one thing motokid for people to not like my work, but to all out make fun of someone's efforts at sincere writing is just plain hateful. I would never tell someone to their face that their work is shit. I would however offer advice and suggestions on how to improve. I thought that was the purpose of this forum to do just that. Not so here people make it a point to poke fun at new writers. So what I'm a stupid cajun from Louisiana who can't write do you actually have to make purposeful blows against me so that I'm targeted as the laughing stock of this community. Thanks but no thanks. My work is shit and I know that but I never expected people to be so ruthless and make fun of it. I worked very hard on it. I know I'll never get published I get rejected daily. Thanks again I guess I just needed a group of intellegent writers to tell me to quit writing just not in those exact words. I refused to tell myself to quit even though I knew my work was shit but I tried and failed now that everyone else feels the same way I am sure now that writing is not for me. Thanks!

The point I'm trying to make is...there are a few billion people in the world. If you create something, the odds are that most people will not like it. You can either wallow in disgust at the majority, or celebrate in the arms of the minority. I'm sure there are people who like what you write. If you are the only one, that's not such a bad thing either. If you love to write, then write. Regardless of what others say. I certainly would not let a small handful of people, on an internet forum, change the way I think about something I love. I still drink Coors Light even though pretty much everybody here has made fun of me for drinking piss-water. I don't care. I like what I like, and I don't feel the need to apologize for it.

Write. Have fun...keep trying....keep reading...

Hi laboi,

Gee, I guess I was wrong. It seems to me that you repeatedly, insistently ask for feedback and then take offense if it's not entirely positive, which makes no sense.

If you are sincerely trying to improve your writing, my advice is that you ask yourself 'is this plausible and does it make sense' every time you write a line. Try writing plainly. Try just telling a story.

I'm sorry you took my comment as a personal insult. I was giving an honest opinion based on what I've read. I promise I won't comment on your work any further. I am chastened.

Anyway, I'm just one person with one opinion. As Moto says, there's a whole world of readers out there. But if you really want honest feedback, you must steel yourself and open your mind to another person's point of view.

Thanks motokid. I think that you have to be the only member who is intellegent enough to write inspiring responses like the previous. I will however continue to read because I love it almost as much as I love writing. I will take a break from my writing because I just can't do it. It really takes a stong person to realize that something is not for them. Just like I dream of being a CEO at a major company in NYC I know that it won't happen. I won't be a published writer either and I'm not saying that it's because of what these fools have said here. I get your point and I understand what you are saying. I'm a good nurse and I should stick with that. Writing is not for me I can't create anything worth reading and this board has made me realize that for sure. Again I just don't get the point of making fun of others thats just rude and hateful. It takes a miserable person to do that. Thats all I'm saying.

Novella I don't mind people telling me that my work is bad. It hurt when my work was mocked by your post. It hurts when people make you the laughing stock of a whole comminuty. I respect each individual here and make every effort to understand that everyone is intellegent in their own way. I would never make a whole thread mocking you no matter how bad your work is. Like I said I take critisism well even if it's negative. I don't however take mocking and jokes about someone else's writing very well. It's downright ugly.

I have a very mean sense of humor. It's one of my personal faults. You really don't have to take it so hard. I'm just one person. Besides, I post enough crap. Anyone can have a go at me, right?

On a positive note, now you have something in common with Dan Brown.

If you have an avocation to write, just go ahead. It's a cold cruel world out there in the public eye. You might hear something you don't like from me, and it won't be the last negative thing you ever hear. Don't you wonder how you're planning to handle that as a published author? Having a fragile ego is extremely difficult.

By the way, laboi, the writing on your blog is much better than the story you've posted here. When you're just writing in a relatively straightforward way, there is a nice heartfelt, honest quality. I liked one of your poems, too.

The main reason your story here isn't working is that you're putting too much in. All those metaphors. All that descriptive language. All the 'colorful' ways you are jazzing it up. Those aren't working for you. Just tell the story. It would be greatly improved. This is a truly honest criticism and I hope you take it as such.

Novella what don't you understand about my ego? I thought I made it quite clear that I have a very strong ego. I don't take offense to the fact that you or anyone else here does not like my work. I face rejection every day from my mailbox. I take it very well. I have taken your comments and other comments on this board well. Tell me whats wrong with my work and how I can improve no matter how harsh.

For you however to post a whole thread mocking my work making me the laughing stock of this community is mean. How much hate do you have in your heart. My God what type of person are you. I would never write a whole thread to make you look bad and have everyone comment on how horrible your writing is. I wouldn't do that but I guess I'm to kind.

I don't have to worry any longer about the published world. I won't be published. Thanks again for making me out to be the fool of TBF.

You're right. I am mean. I think I'm normal, but the evidence speaks to the contrary. Can I apologize again? I'm sorry. Not to make excuses, but being callous is a valuable skill I've developed over time, but this was misdirected.

laboi

You know, laboi, I have read some of your stuff, and have provided what I thought was an honest, valid, and fair opinion.

I'm not sure I understand the motivation for your responses to this thread, though.

[The following is the opinion of leckert only. His views do not necessarily reflect the views of this forum]

The "I suck, I'm going away because nobody loves me" and the "I'm just a dumb cajun and I will never be a writer" remarks are reprehensible, and I hope they would be an insult to this forum (I was certainly insulted). We are not responsible for your emotional instability, and your passive-aggressive requests for acceptance and pity are annoying.

I have enjoyed reading your stuff. I think the premise is interesting. I would like to read more. Your dialogue needs a lot of work, and you need to dig into some grammar guides, and learn some things about style.

If you want to write, write. Someone will read it.

If you want to go away, then go away.

Either way, stop whining and take some responsiblity for yourself.

Thanks for reading my work leckert and thanks for your great input. I really appriciate your time and your talent. I am however not whining. I am simply saying what I feel that no one. I mean no one deserves a whole thread of mocking.

I don't understand how the hell you people think here. If your work was made fun of and I'm not talking about harsh critisism I'm talking about blatent all out mocking and laughing you would feel the same way.

Maybe thats why you don't post your work. I don't know. But thanks any way. I won't whine anymore. I really do thank you from the bottom of my heart for the advice you have given me eariler. Just because I'm upset with some others on this board I don't feel the same about everyone.

leckert does post his work, and I've posted plenty of stuff in the Writer's Showcase over time. I like to use the forum to play around with writing, to develop flexibility. It's like warm-up exercises for an athlete. It just gets the words flowing and loosens up the brain muscles.

When I was young, I used to invest so much in each little thing I wrote. I would break my own heart every day, open a vein for every poem. It was a real professional breakthrough for me to realize that, as an approach to a writing life, that's not the most productive or creative way to build a body of work.

To me, it's more important to be able to pour out a thousand words of readable prose a day than to prostrate myself on the altar of emotional pain. That's a pretty self-destructive routine after a while.

I have posted, Laboi. (see "What My Father Said" and "Teacher's Workday")

I do understand the offense you have taken to your work being mocked. I would have been mortified myself. I also understand that Novella has apologized to you, and that Moto has gone out of his way to try to encourage you.

What I truly don't understand, though, is the "nobody likes me everybody hates me" thing you have going on. In my opinion, the moment we become an adult is the moment we decide to take responsiblity for our own state of being. The outside world should not be our source of contentment and/or self-worth. When it is, we are frequently hurt and disappointed. The only rock in our lives is ourselves (and/or our God, some may say). I just want to see you "buck up" and be a writer.

NOONE who has EVER been successful has done so by saying "I can't do this, I suck". If you want to write, write.

Michael Jordan was cut as a sophomore from his High School basketball team (true story!). His coach thought he sucked. Fortunately, he didn't put his ego, or his own sense of value in his coach's hands.

Keep at it, dude.

In the end, whether you are published or not, it's still a lot of fun!

laboi, click on leckert's screen name right next to the green light that signifies he's online. Then click on view public profile. There you can click a link that will show you every thread, and every post he's started. You can then read everything.

This works for any forum member...regarless of them being online or not by the way.

Great tool for learning about each person here.

They sure have appolgized and I thank them for that. I thank you and everyone for encouagment. I don't need a shrink I have my own. Yes writing is fun I'll admit that. It also takes an adult to realize that if you can't do something find something else that strikes your interest. A painter can't continue to paint all of his life if he hasn't sold one painting and he himself thinks he sucks. He has to be good at something else. So he does it.

No one had ever told me on this board that I suck and I should quit and I never said that they did. I was upset with the mocking and laughter encourged by brilliant minds of the writers on this board of whom I have come to respect. I'm not immature neither am I whining. If I don't have a passion to write anymore then so be it. I'm not going to waist my time writing if I'm always changing it and can't get past the first chapter.

Again thanks for your kind words.

laboi_22 said:
A painter can't continue to paint all of his life if he hasn't sold one painting and he himself thinks he sucks. He has to be good at something else. So he does it.

Not sure I get this?

Are you saying that since I will never get paid for playing the guitar in the grand scheme of things like a recording contract, and since there are hundreds of thousands of other guitar players who are way better than I am, that I should just give it up, and stop playing.

If I know I suck (compared to a huge, huge, huge number of players) that there is no reason to play anymore?

The only way something artistic is fun is if it makes you a dollar?

What happened to "practice, practice, practice...."?
How will you get better at something if you stop? You are only 22 years old right? Christ, you've got plenty of time to evolve and grow into what ever you want.

laboi_22 said:
I'm not going to waist my time writing if I'm always changing it and can't get past the first chapter.

laboi, it might be a good idea to move on to another piece for a while and leave this one for later. It's not like you have to get the first chapter of anything perfect in order to make progress. You can write a few scenes from later on in the story and then go back to this. You might decide to open with a totally different scene.

Best of luck. :)

Back