• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Crowdfunding books

Sammy_2005

I recently found out about Kickstarter and Indiegogo from Patrick Rothfuss, the author of the "Name of the Wind" and went to check them out. Writers are offered the chance to submit a project and ask for funding for things like editors or book covers or any kind of book related stuff they want to promote.
The problem with these projects is that some of them are offering ebooks for more than 10$ and for an indie unpublished writer I find it's a lot of money to ask.
I found also some cool projects on Indiegogo like the Dhyanica project where they are offering besides the book perks like chainmail, fantasy catalogs, toys etc. or the Guardian Princess Alliance, where they are creating new fairy tale heros for children.

Here are both links to the projects.
Dhyanica
The Guardian Princess Alliance

So what's your thought on these type of crowdfunding projects? Love them or hate them?

Just a thought on the pricing of books - $10 is a fairly average price for ebooks and my general opinion is that if you don't value your work ie set a price on it, no one else is going to value it. I don't believe in give-aways either.

This year I participated in two Kickstarter book projects:

1. To Be Or Not To Be: That Is The Adventure, a choose your own adventure retelling of Hamlet.

2. Two Rivers, a photo book about two rivers in Central Asia.

Both were very niche products and I was happy to fund both of them.

Just a thought on the pricing of books - $10 is a fairly average price for ebooks and my general opinion is that if you don't value your work ie set a price on it, no one else is going to value it. I don't believe in give-aways either.

I agree with this.

Both books met their funding request and both have arrived.

To Be or Not To Be is a hefty tome. I leafed through it but haven't sat down with it yet.

Two Rivers was a mixed bag. It is a straight up photobook with no text which is geat but I didn't really like the book format (the pages extend past the hardcover) and I honestly feel that I could have taken better photos (but she's the award winning photographer and I am not so who am I to judge). Still, it's a great glimpse into a part of the world few know about so in that respect I am happy with it.

I'll definitely donate towards other publishing projects in the future.

Speaking of publishing, I am a backer for this funded project and am looking forward to the end result: A very special NEW stripped-down Sea Wolf ALBUM!

Back