• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

curfews for teens

Jenem

kickbox
My sister has had a lot of problems with teen crime around her home. She lives near a school and park. Admittedly, teen behaviour is very bad in our town. Kids are always kicking in fences and stealing stuff. On the weekend, my nephew's bike (equipped with training wheels) was stolen from their back yard. Someone turned it in so they did get it back, but theft like that is pretty rampant. She is also regularly awoken by drunken teens as they stumble down the streets, kicking garbage cans over, etc. She's even had to remove passed out kids from her lawn at 2am. Recently her and my mom witnessed a few kids walking down the street in broad daylight with open beers in their hands.

Anyway, after the bike theft my sister decided she'd had enough. She wants to petition to have a curfew set for teens. I would love to see something done about the teens around here, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a curfew (for which I think are obvious reasons). I thought I would post the idea up here and see if anyone had any input. Are curfews done anymore? Do they work?

I think that if you impose a curfew you're just going to get kids out on the streets who will simply be out to rebel against it and flout the law. Has she thought about promoting more evening entertainment for teenagers? What about the old concept of running 'discos' - in my day (God, that makes me sound old) we had 'Blue Light Discos', which were dances run by the police force. It generated respect for the cops, and allowed kids to meet each other and be entertained in a controlled setting.

bobbyburns said:
do the teens listen to a lot of skinny puppy?
i seriously doubt it. i'm sure they listen to the same bs that everyone else does. shit, i havent even heard the NAME skinny puppy in 10 years!

Kookamoor, we do have a lot of that stuff in our town but these kind of kids wouldn't attend that sort of thing. also, i don't think my sister would have time to regularly organize that sort of thing. they have built teen centres here to try to help, but it's just not "cool" to hang out there.

Jenem said:
also, i don't think my sister would have time to regularly organize that sort of thing. they have built teen centres here to try to help, but it's just not "cool" to hang out there.
I don't mean for your sister to organise such things, but for her to petition for something like that to occur. What about trying to get the city council in the region to sit down with the kids at a meeting - I know that sounds far fetched, but it may be possible. What do these kids want?

bobbyburns said:
I thought they were popular over in vancouver.
hmm- depends on what you mean by popular. i suppose some might be into them, but i think top 40 rap and rock is their thing. why do you ask?

kookamoor said:
I don't mean for your sister to organise such things, but for her to petition for something like that to occur. What about trying to get the city council in the region to sit down with the kids at a meeting - I know that sounds far fetched, but it may be possible. What do these kids want?

ah- well, that may be a better way to go- i will suggest that to my sister. but i still don't know if they would go for it. there was already a skatepark built for them about 2 years ago. i dont know if they are allowed to hang out latenight there or not. i dont know what the kids want. they seem to be pretty happy drinking and kicking in fences.

I remember an episode of south park where they were making fun of goth kids, and this one kid had a skinny puppy poster on his wall. anyway, since vancouver is where they're originally from, I assumed they were "cewl" amongst the youth.

nah- kids dont get exposure to that sort of group until they are old enough to leave the comfy little suburbs and hit the clubs. your post made me BOL- goth kids on south park with skinny puppy posters. too funny!!!!!!!!

wow- thanks mehastings! that's a great page. i will give that to my sister, it'll probably help her cause a lot.

Jenem said:
wow- thanks mehastings! that's a great page. i will give that to my sister, it'll probably help her cause a lot.

Glad to be of a help. I honestly don't know how I feel about youth curfews, so I liked the impartiality of this article. It shows cities with good opinions and cities with bad opinions.

bobbyburns said:
I remember an episode of south park where they were making fun of goth kids, and this one kid had a skinny puppy poster on his wall. anyway, since vancouver is where they're originally from, I assumed they were "cewl" amongst the youth.

sooo off topic, but cewl is pronounce k-wel isn't it??

see, bobbyburns, i had such a huge misconception about you and it turns out that you are pretty rad afterall.......

i would just like to point out the rampant lack of capitization i have recently witnessed , here and in other threads. could it be that i have started a trend or is this forum just slipping into a grammatically incorrect wasteland?

on topic, my hometown used to have a curfew for teens i think, ricky do you remember? i think it was 10 but i don't really remember kids being too wild back in the day. currently in the town i live in there seems to be a rise in vandalism. i think the parents should be held accountable too as they are the ones who are allowing the kids to roam around all hours. where are the parents of the kids passed out on the lawns at 3 am?

jenngorham said:
i would just like to point out the rampant lack of capitization i have recently witnessed , here and in other threads. could it be that i have started a trend or is this forum just slipping into a grammatically incorrect wasteland?
Bobby has refused to conform to the laws of capitalization instituted by the man ever since I've been on this board. I thought you were copying him.

oh see i thought it was bobby who once criticized me for it. perhaps it was stewart...no in any event, as i may have explained before, i would love to say that i do this in tribute to e.e. cummings, however, that would be a bold faced lie. i'm just to damn lazy to press that shift key. and then i do find that when i do use capitals it is so much more EMPHATIC.

rk what is your opinion on the thread at hand?

As a stuffy old parent I don't see anything wrong with curfews. I don't see a purpose to teens being out after 10 or 11 PM just to hang out with friends.

Where I live:

anyone under 12 is not to be out from 9 PM - 5 AM sunday through thurs; friday and saturday it's from 10 PM - 5 AM

ages 12 - 14 are not to be out from 10 PM - 5 AM sun - thurs; fri and sat it's from 11 PM - 5 AM

ages 15 - 17 are not to be out from 10 PM - 5 AM sun - thurs; sat and sun morning it's from 12:01 AM - 5 AM

exceptions are made if a youth is with a parent or "authorized" adult, if the youth is involved in an emergency, or if the youth is engaged in a supervised youth activity (such as traveling to/from sporting events).

As I recall the rules are slightly different during the summer.

Back