• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
SFG75 said:
I picked up Peter Singer's The President of Good and Evil; Questioning the Ethics of George W. Bush. Singer is a professor Bioethics at Princeton University.

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn’t know it existed.
Although I cant really see myself reading it; Bush’s fallibilities, distortions, contradictions, illusions, delusions, lies (can I stop now?)…are clear on the surface, it’s sad that it takes an interesting thinker to make the (already very clear) point(s) to many people. But typical.
Singer is a very interesting chap. Sounds like the type of book that should be Required Reading for anyone thinking they know any-damn-thing about the way “politics” are heading.
I hope reading it doesn’t make you lose too much sleep.
j
your link didn't work, but here's a PS site for the 0.00003 people that were interested in your post.
http://www.utilitarian.net/singer/

Mansfield Park, Jane Austen.
I've already seen an adaptation of this, but it's not like you can really spoil Austen's endings...
Really enjoying it, anyway, although am having the usual "you both obviously love each other, just figure it out and let's have the wedding on page 50, ok?" feelings. But the ending isn't the point, there's always something else - here, it's pointing out, frequently, the moral bankruptcy of 18th century society, and in fact every human being except Fanny Price, who is in fact perfect, if anyone could realise it. And once again the hero is fickle, chasing after some airheaded bimbo, while our heroine pines in constant silent affection.
Absolutely brilliant.

jay said:
your link didn't work, but here's a PS site for the 0.00003 people that were interested in your post.
http://www.utilitarian.net/singer/

Make that 0.00004 (Unless I did the math backwards.)

I wanted to bring up George Lakoff , but didn't want to "go off"
on politics (I have a special forum for that), although Lakoff's an excellent author, and "Don't Think of an Elephant" is a wonderful book.

But, yes, I'm just the tiniest bit interested in the prospect of our country apparently welcoming the idea of a totalitarian government...

:rolleyes:

Using the president's "state's rights" speeches and the ultimate decisions to fight the states to do exactly what they want, Singer effectively demolishes the president's consistency in regard to this ideal. :mad:

clueless said:
And the adaptation took great liberties to make it PC.
I'm only about 100 pages in, but I presume you mean all the slavery stuff they put in there? I quite enjoyed the film, but Edmund was deeply annoying and you got the feeling the film makers were trying to make some kind of point. The book is already infinitely better. I should have learned my lesson with Pride and Prejudice - although the BBC version was brilliant, it was nothing to the book.

I'm reading The five people you meet in Heaven. I'ts so well written that I'm sailing through it which makes a change for me! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. :)

pontalba said:
I believe Cross Stitch is the same as Outlander here in the U.S?
Ohhh, well that would explain a lot... I wasn't aware of that until now. :eek:

You have a wonderful series in front of you!
Yeah, I'm liking this book so far and I think that I will continue on the series.

This is the authors website. Verra interesting. :)
Thanks for the link.. very interesting :)

MonkeyCatcher

I'm reading two things:

1) The Da Vinci Code - I didn't plan to read it (after the adverse publicity), but a friend said it was good and lent me a copy. Actually it's brilliant - can't put it down - very glad I changed my mind!

2) Sometimes I can't be bothered to carry a book when I'm travelling on the train, so I've started using a mobile phone service called Gobstopped which does short stories, comic strips and jokes. I think it's quite new, and at first they didn't have very much, but it seems to be growing all the time and some of it is really good. Quite a lot of their stuff is free, too. You get it by texting the word GOB to 83238. I recommend the stories Norweigan Standoff and Cat Talk. Website is www.gobstopped.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back