• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
SillyWabbit said:
I remember being quite impresssed with it because it's quite hard to right a book about utopia and make it an interesting story! Although, mostly, my feelings about him as a writer are pretty much in line with yours.

Curiously enough, the book that I shall read next is Thomas More's Utopia - quite suitable really!

Jenem- That's right where I stopped. Thanks. I just finished Rose Madder, so I'll get back to Outlander later tonite.

Having finished it, I have to revise my opinion of 'The Songs of Distant Earth.' The ending is a simply-worked emotional masterpiece, and the exploration of so many different kinds of loss and guilt, set against the greatest source of these feelings, the destruction of earth and the music reminding everyone of it. A gentle, bittersweet novel worthy of its high accord.

I also loved the very last scene, a little bit of humourous relief that provided the perfect antidote to the seriousness of the ending otherwise.

Cajunmama,

I really really loved Outlander as well (although it was published under a different name in the UK, so I figured for a while that I had missed reading on of hers).

All the books in the series are pretty decent.

Watercrystal- I read that in school, and LOVED it. One of my all time faves.

Tried to get back into Outlander again last night, but no luck. I was kind of tired, though. Not going to give up on it yet...

what i'm reading

I am currently reading The Mists of Avolon. It is and great book, it really sheads a different light on the Arthurian legends. It tells them from a womans point of few , and i would definitley recomend it. :D

I'm reading Hopeful Monsters by Nicholas Mosely and I'm finding it very turgid and hard going. I'll never put a book down but this is sorely tempting me.

I'm currently reading The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey. I've never read any of her work before. It's kind of weird but it is holding my interest so far.

I just started Dean Koontz's 'By The Light of the Moon' and I am having a hard time getting into it thus far but I am only about a fourth of the way in so hopefully it will get better.

Jenem said:
i really enjoyed that one. it's brilliant

&
cajunmama said:
Watercrystal- I read that in school, and LOVED it. One of my all time faves

Yah, it is really good! I have to read it again to clarify some stuff on my mind. :confused:

the authour seems to be a really nice man.

Regards, :)

PS: don't you think we are walking our way to that direction that was described in the book? :rolleyes:

watercrystal said:
PS: don't you think we are walking our way to that direction that was described in the book? :rolleyes:
yes, i do. but i suppose many people have been thinking that for many years. if you read oryx and crake you will shudder at the foresight

I have just finished Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes . It's absolutely wonderful, and highly recommendable. He has a wonderful way with words, and is excellent at describing a young boys thoughts and sentiments.

Now I am off to Monica Ali's Brick Lane .

Hobitten

Jenem said:
yes, i do. but i suppose many people have been thinking that for many years. if you read oryx and crake you will shudder at the foresight

Yah, it is already on my to-read list. but just started The Hundred Secret Sense by Amy Tan, which was on recommedation by Chewbecca.

PS: Fahrenheit 451 was on your recommendation actually. Thanks for it. :)

I remember the ship who sang - very good indeed very strange it must be 20yrs since I read it. Come back and tell us what you think .

I finished Ben Elton's High Society, which I enjoyed a heck of a lot more than I initially thought I would.

Moving on to Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. I've read ten pages sofar, and I already know this is gonna be ... (wait for it) ... splendid.

Cheers

Finished Dan Brown's book which you can see in my signature. Start new book from library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back