• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cyberpunk Sci-fi and the Singularity

Ashlea

Just finished an interesting article in Pop Sci about a sci fi concept called the Singularity? Can't say that I completely understand it, but it's something along the idea that there's a point in the future where technology will be so enhanced that we will enter a period that is "post-human" in a variety of ways. Lots of cool concepts, one which our minds can be downloaded, copied, and moved.

At any rate, the article mentioned several good basic books on the concept:

Neuromancer - William Gibson
Marrooned in Realtime - Vernor Vinge
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
The Star Fraction - by Ken MacLeod
Singularity Sky - Charles Stross

I can definitely recommend the article (Aug 2004 Pop Sci) and am interested in any insight or opinions anyone has on the concept. Can't say I buy it, but it's fascinating.

I can't say I've ever heard of the theoy by name, but when you described it I recognised a couple of great books that include it.
Altered Carbon - Richard Morgen - takes place in a world where people rarely die as they can be put on file and downloaded into a new body. The idea adds a great new element to the classic whodunnit in this book.

Ilium - Dan Simmons - Sci-fi retelling of the Iliad, mentions specifically Post-Humans and involves a lot of faxing of people.

Oponn said:
I can't say I've ever heard of the theoy by name, but when you described it I recognised a couple of great books that include it.
Altered Carbon - Richard Morgen - takes place in a world where people rarely die as they can be put on file and downloaded into a new body. The idea adds a great new element to the classic whodunnit in this book.

Ilium - Dan Simmons - Sci-fi retelling of the Iliad, mentions specifically Post-Humans and involves a lot of faxing of people.

The idea from Altered Carbon was used in a recent 2000AD strip called 'Tyranny Rex,' and I thought it was a very interesting concept, however little was made of it and it was burdened with an otherwise dreadful series.

Hmmm I recall reading Neuromancer as part of my degree. Cyberspace and internet related stuff fascinated me, from a geographers perspective anyway.

Singularity Sky ...

:rolleyes: not sure I'd go with the cyberpunk label with that book. It's a great read and has a very hip sensibility with cellphones falling from the sky, AI lifeforms and nanotechnology, FTL warfare tactics, the Singularity, and so on. The Singularity is an Event but only sketched out vaguely. It does feature a character who is cybernetically enhanced and the nonotech is pretty much an element of magic.

I'm looking for his short fiction to read to get a better take on his writing and found a story in LIVE Without the Net. Will definitely pick up his next novel from the library ...

O

Back