• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cyberpunk

I probably get round to reading Neuromancer about once a year - it's still that good. I've read most of Gibson's stuff, though I think I've missed a couple of the more recent books. Don't think I've read anything by Sterling except 'The Hacker Crackdown' (is that even a title/him at all??), and The Difference engine. Haven't read anything really Cyberpunk for a while - what's new in the area? China Mieville's Perdido Street Station had a kind of strange punkiness about it - more the social aspects maybe.

Yeah sterling wrote the hacker crackdown. His fiction is great, difference engine was fantastic. Try his stuff. Cory doctorow is good also and Neal Stephenson.

I thoroughly recommend Charles Stross's Accelerando. After reading that he went into my top 10 of favourite authors. It's like Gibson's stuff but on speed and steroids.

Pat Cadigan writes some good books as well.

I have read most of William Gibson's works and have enjoyed him immensely. I am anxiously awaiting his new book Spook Country.That being said, I find Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and Diamond Age to be amazing although the endings were a bit of a let down.

I have read most of William Gibson's works and have enjoyed him immensely. I am anxiously awaiting his new book Spook Country.That being said, I find Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and Diamond Age to be amazing although the endings were a bit of a let down.

Snow Crash is an amazing book, thank you for saying so. Neal Stephenson can really blow your mind, and I thought that the end was strangely fitting.

Snow Crash is an amazing book, thank you for saying so. Neal Stephenson can really blow your mind, and I thought that the end was strangely fitting.

My biggest problem I have with Neal Stephenson is that he can tell a great story but he can't write an ending. Of course, he thinks his endings are fine.

http://www.nealstephenson.com/content/author_endings.htm

Can’t Write Endings

Some readers, or so it would appear, have been dissatisfied with the endings of certain of my novels. These people often come to the reasonable-sounding but totally wrong hypothesis that I am trying, but failing, to write the sorts of endings that they would like to see.

This is not the case. In fact, I always write the endings that I want to, and am as satisfied with my endings as I am with any other aspect of my writing. I just have an opinion about what constitutes a good ending that is at variance with some of my readers.

I have enjoyed Gibson's work – a dedicated, autographed copy of Mona Lisa Overdrive is one of my book treasures – and I'd also recommend Snow Crash, which Sparky mentioned earlier.

My biggest problem I have with Neal Stephenson is that he can tell a great story but he can't write an ending. Of course, he thinks his endings are fine.

I couldn't agree more, especially, but certainly not only in The Diamond Age: an absolutely riveting book, great story, wonderfully told, and then it just sort of fizzles out.

I like Hayden Christensen, even if he is whiny, so it made my day :D I'm sorry I ruined yours. How can I make it up to you?

Oh, I see it is in preproduction. That means there is still time for them to find a better actor. :p

Who would be a good actor choice, Spark? I didn't finish the book, but I pictured the character looking almost exactly like another character in another book, though i don't know who I'd want to play either of them. Someone blond.

Who is that? (and where do you keep finding these lovely men?! :D ) He's better than Christensen for the part, but not quite there yet.

You're a tough one to please Jez.

I think this guy would be perfect.

anymag.com_images_2_daily_entertainment_07_09_06_benfoster_lgl.jpg

bf5jb.jpg

Back