• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"dag"

Geenh

Hi. I've been in Australia for so long that I've forgotten whether or not the word "dag" is used elsewhere. If so, what are the uses.

Dag - "lock of wool clotted with dung about the hinder parts of sheep" and "extraordinary or amusing person".

Also, in our household and amongst our friends, we use dag as a temr for our dogs staring at you whilst you eat wanting a scrap "Quit dagging and go lay down!".

A dag is also used as a term for an idiot (not in a strong term, more affectionate) "Quit being a dag, you look fine in those jeans!".

My everyday language is so full of expletives and slang that I'm sure I would have heard of this if it was in use in the UK, so sorry, but not here!

Ah well. Maybe you can incorporate it into your daily language. Hey, my brother who is a cop, loves the word "Wanker" and says he calls crims that quite often. Wanker is not used widely in the US.

Does the name mean anything? You know like my daughter's name means "Child of God" ... and no, I didn't name her that because of what it means.

Geenh said:
A dag is also used as a term for an idiot (not in a strong term, more affectionate) "Quit being a dag, you look fine in those jeans!".

I am familiar with this usage of "dag", from my viewing of Neighbours and Home and Away (sorry! :eek: ) I'd have to disagree with Spatha and say that I have heard it used here in the UK, but not as widely as home-grown slang.

Yup, was gonna say the exact same thing.

And I seem to remember someone (English) using it as follows: 'Dag nabbit', being a less rude version of 'God damned', I presume.

Cheers

Your right about "Dag Nabbit!" here in the States. Most people know it as the the most often used exclamation of Yosemite Sam.
However, we use (at least around here) "dingleberry" in very much the same way as Geenh describes "dag". I mean, technically, "dingleberry" refers to a clump of dung stuck in hair around the orifice from which it was discharged. But, we also use it to refer to someone who is foolish or silly without necessarily being derogatory.

Thanks for that funes. I seemt o remember dingleberry... but being a city girl, I think I always used it in the lovable larrakin way.

Back