• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Simmons: Ilium

Conscious Bob

Ilium is part one of a story where godlike beings exist and base themselves on the gods of classical Greece. They're real and supremely powerful because of technology developed by our successors, a mysterious race called the Post Humans. These 'gods' quantum tunnel back to the time of the Trojan War and assume the identities and attributes of the gods described in Homer's Iliad, they also employ resurrected classical scholars as observers.

One of these scholars, Thomas Hockenberry, a scholar angered by the technological artifice of the 'gods' as they meddle with the war, gets an opportunity to change the course of events and change they do, bigtime.

From ancient Greece, to a far future terraformed Mars and a post apocalyptic Earth, the story shifts between three sets of characters. The book is also filled, perhaps a bit too filled, with mysteries but I'm confident there's probably a pay-off in the second book when I get round to it.

If you've read Hyperion and you felt that John Keats and his poetry was shoved under your nose, Ilium by comparison will batter you around the head with Homer, Shakespeare and Marcel Proust in a good way.

Just added it to my list of books I may want to read. :) Are you saying you liked this one better than Hyperion? It looks like the reviews for that one are really good as well...

Back