• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Daniel Defoe: Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe

In the Defoe book, Crusoe is freightened when he sees a single footprint in the sand. Why did Defoe only show a single print; not a pair, not a series of prints?

Mebbe the guy could just hop a really long way :p

Or perhaps the rest had been washed away by the waves, i presume the footprint was on the beach, its been a LONG time since i read Robinson Crusoe (when i was just a kid, and probably didnt take all that much in)

Actually, i presume your asking about the imagery of the single footprint?? Dont know why he chose it, perhaps he thought one footprint would be sufficient to get across his point that Crusoe was not alone??

Phil

Phil, great humor! You are really with others in your analysis. For only a cursory look at the book 'X' years ago, you have done well. Defoe certainly didn't waste much in creating the impact on Crusoe that I wasn't to be alone on the island any longer. 'Minimal effort' to get the point across is taught in a writing class that I am taking. Thanks

Just had another thought, maybe because there is much more information to be obtained by multiple footprints. With more than one, you could see length of stride, possible idea of height, direction travelled, that sort of thing. If the author didn't want to reveal any of that, you just have one.

Also, after seeing the footprint, Crusoe wonders for a while whether it actually exists. Showing only a single footprint instead of two or many could make his doubt more believable

I would have thought, rather, that the single footprint was chosen, not because DeFoe didn't want to give too much away, but because he didn't want to give too much information to Crusoe. A single footprint is uncanny, mysterious, possibly sinister; a string of them means that some guy is down the beach off to my left (or right) and I just have to follow them.
That is to say, the single footprint doesn't just communicate that RC isn't alone on his island. It also conveys an air of mystery and suspense.

Back