• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Daniel Domscheit-Berg: Inside WikiLeaks

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Wired has an interesting article on a book about WikiLeaks that is going to be released next week.

Snippet from the article:

WikiLeaks Defector Slams Assange In Tell-All Book

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange lost control of his site’s submission system in an internal revolt last fall, and has never regained it, according to a tell-all book penned by the organization’s top defector, who accuses Assange of routinely exaggerating the security of the secret-spilling website and lying to the public about the size and strength of the organization.

Although WikiLeaks has claimed for months that its submission system is down due to a backlog of documents it has no time to process, Daniel Domscheit-Berg writes in Inside WikiLeaks that he and a top WikiLeaks programmer seized the submission system when they defected from the organization last September, along with documents in the system at the time.

“This is the first time we’ve told anyone about this,” Domscheit-Berg writes.

Domscheit-Berg, who was known as Daniel Schmitt during his nearly three-year tenure with the organization, had a high-profile fallout last year with Assange, whom he once considered a best friend. He now says of Assange, “Sometimes I hate him so much that I’m afraid I’d resort to physical violence if our paths ever cross again.”

Along with other former WikiLeaks staffers and volunteers, he’s currently developing a competing leak system called OpenLeaks.org. His book is set for simultaneous publication Thursday in 14 countries, according to his U.S. distributor. Threat Level obtained a prerelease version of the book from the publisher, therefore quotes from the book cited here may not match the final version.

Last August, in the wake of rape allegations against Assange as well as criticism that the site had mishandled the names of informants in Afghan documents the site published with media partners, Domscheit-Berg and two WikiLeaks programmers fed up with the way things were being run, staged a halfhearted mutiny. They disabled the WikiLeaks wiki and changed the passwords to the Twitter and e-mail accounts. In response, Assange shut down the whole system, causing the mutineers to cave in. But within weeks, Domscheit-Berg and one of the programmers had left WikiLeaks for good and taken the submission system with them.

They seized the system because they had doubts Assange would handle the documents securely, due to lack of care he had allegedly shown for submissions in the past.

“Children shouldn’t play with guns,” Domscheit-Berg writes. “That was our argument for removing the submission platform from Julian’s control … We will only return the material to Julian if and when he can prove that he can store the material securely and handle it carefully and responsibly.”

Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World's Most Dangerous Website

I will be picking up a copy of this.

The thieves and leakers are concerned about security and leaks?
Next perhaps they will want protection of the law?
The irony!
:lol::lol::lol:

Quiet thread!
Irony upon irony!
No one interested in WikiLeaks?! :eek:
/falls down dead flat/

The thieves and leakers are concerned about security and leaks?

Sure, why not? They want to make sure that their sources remain anonymous. According to Domscheit-Berg, the system as it sits now does not do that. Also, once they prepare to release a leak, they put it into a workflow to remove any kind of meta data that might expose the identity of the leaker.

Next perhaps they will want protection of the law?

Sure. Whistleblowers should enjoy protection from retaliation of their employer and maybe also from their government.

OK, I finished this last night.

Very interesting read to be sure.

Those of you that have dealt with folks in the IT department know that they come in two types: the nice guy and "that guy". Daniel Domscheit-Berg seems to me to be "that guy".

A lot of this book reads like the aftermath of a bad breakup but I do get the sense that Daniel Domscheit-Berg is trying to be as fair as possible to Julian Assange. The amusing thing is that even though I get the sense that Domscheit-Berg is trying to not be mean-spirited towards Assange, Assange comes across as being a paranoid narcissistic homeless freeloading nomad who wears too many clothes and has no table manners.

Domscheit-Berg started volunteering with Wikileaks in 2007 and soon became Assange's right hand man.

After the release and publicity surrounding the leak of the documents from the collapsed Iceland bank Kaupthing, Wikileaks decided to bring things up a notch. Together with Icelandic Parliament member Birgitta Jónsdóttir, they proposed plans for the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative which would create a press haven.

In the early days of Wikileaks, Julian's policy was to release documents in the order they were received but after the "collateral murder" video was released, that changed. Once Wikileaks hit the big time, Assange was more concerned with staying on top and only releasing leaks of headline importance than releasing documents on a first in, first out basis. Domscheit-Berg and other volunteers questioned the change and the direction that WikiLeaks was being taken as well as demanding top to bottom transparency to the outside world. Assange told everyone he knew what he was doing and to not question it.

“Do not challenge leadership in times of crisis,” was one of his favorite answers to any critical questions we asked.

Oh, the irony.

After Domscheit-Berg was suspended/quit, the "architect" left as well.

I don't know if Assange and his new inner circle have fixed the submission system or not.

:star3:

This book gets the distinction of being the first book read on my Kindle.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_bar_1277287822320.jpg

Sure, why not? They want to make sure that their sources remain anonymous. According to Domscheit-Berg, the system as it sits now does not do that. Also, once they prepare to release a leak, they put it into a workflow to remove any kind of meta data that might expose the identity of the leaker.

Sure. Whistleblowers should enjoy protection from retaliation of their employer and maybe also from their government.

An ages-old debate, I suspect. But I would suggest that much depends on what one calls a leak and the nature of the information being leaked.

Back