• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Daredevil

Morry

Let's start it:
What about Daredevil for those who saw it? I'll leave until less busy times for my own.

Morry :D :D

I've just started to get interested in comics, so I haven't read any Daredevil comics yet (but plan to!!!).

I really enjoyed the film though, to me it seemed quite dark which I liked, had the same kind of feel to the first Batman movie.

Also there was a few cameos to look out for

Stan Lee crossing the road, and Kevin Smith in the lab I heard that his name may mean something to some people (Kirby) and the one I missed Frank Miller (I don't know what he looks like)

I probably rate it 8/10

P.S. Don't leave when the credits go up, there is a final scene a couple of minutes into the credits. Everyone in the cinema I went to missed it.

Missed that bit. :( 've been caught up a same way with the story of Buddha by Bertolucci. Another movie with such a trick is Moulin Rouge, of which credits were so long, but very good music... and I did not miss them.
As for Daredevil, just beginning to touch the comic, a 'superhero' thing. ;) Yet I would say that the movie adds to the comic - especially the first not yet hero part - for bringing a bit of humanity into the red-leathered hero and lots of darkness that makes the movie and the hero more human. Title sequence is excellent in my view. :)
Also, good point is it seems the movie is pushing towards a continuation. The only risk as I see it is a degeneration into a 'Batman'-'Daredevil' thing... Where are you Tim Burton? Please come here to keep it dark. Let's hop we won't have the next Hollywood babes and or clowns to replace Garner and Affleck if they leave the role as with the Batman series. :D

Morry

Originally posted by Morry
... red-leathered hero and lots of darkness... Let's hop we won't have the next Hollywood babes and or clowns to replace Garner and Affleck if they leave the role as with the Batman series. :D Morry
Have yet to see this one, though I understand Jon Favreau and Colin Farrell make it better than it might have been. And making The Kingpin a man of colour was a nice departure.

There was a good point raised in The Guardian about DD's costume making him look a mite too much like a gimp - hello, Pulp Fiction. As for sequels, I wouldn't worry. Daredevil's always been a second-string comics character, so I'd be surprised if there was even one.

Tobytook

Sorry Tobytook but it looks like DD's success stateside means we're in for a sequel AND an Elektra spin-off film. Hopefully Mark Steven Johnson won't be involved in any capacity as IMHO I thought he handled the material terribly. All flashy editing and inappropriate rock soundtrack.

Both DD & Elektra are fascinating characters in the right hands and I highly recommend everyone to avoid the film and rather pick up a copy of Daredevil: Born Again or Elektra:Assassin - both excellent reads.

Music or noise?

Question of personal taste I would say but, actually, I absolutely loooooooooooooooove the soundtrack.... best alternative rock I had heard for quite a while without all this business of techno-rock you know... and the last Evanescence is fantastically of the same trend...

Morry:):D

Rain Dog, I couldn't agree with you more. I was expecting (or hoping for) the movie to follow the Frank Miller path. Instead, the movie came out looking like a bad MTV video (from about 10 years ago). There were some good ideas, but they got lost while the director was clubbing his audience over the head with cheesy melodramatics (i.e. style way over substance). Ditto, with Elektra.
Elektra: Assassin is one of my favorites.
I mean, I guess I didn't think the movie was horrible (though it wasn't very good) so much as that I thought it could have been sooo much better.

Although very easy on the eye, Jennifer Garner just doesn't quite have the chops to play Elektra as the full-on nutcase she actually is. Admittedly the character was radically altered from the comics anyway (well, Miller's version at least).

It wasn't a total waste though - Jon Favreau was great as Foggy, the 'blind stuff' was well done, Bullseye had some cracking lines and Affleck was nowhere near as dire as I expected. But the action was atrocious...

I thought it was boring and predictable, with uninspired villains and average action scenes. There seemed to be nothing that hadn't been done before.

I agree Letterhead, I thought it was terribly dull. I am kind of sick of thhe superhero movies coming out. I love comics, but the movies never seem to live up to my expectations (except X-Men). I doubt I'd go see the sequel/spin off.

Yep

but let's fair - why not enjoy and forget that we are sort of useless geeks often *overjudging* other people's efforts to do their best? ;)

Morry

Originally posted by Morry
but let's fair - why not enjoy and forget that we are sort of useless geeks often *overjudging* other people's efforts to do their best? ;)

I agree. I liked it for what it was, it attempted to be character-driven rather than pacing between set pieces. It was darker than I remember the earliest DD comics, so maybe it was early DD tempered by the later Miller stuff?

What's the source of your sig, BTW?

O
_______
We invented the future! We built it! And if they could design or market it a little better than we could, then we just invented something else more amazing yet. If it took imagination, we always had that. If it took enterprise, we always had it. If it took daring and even ruthlessnes, we had it--we not only built the atomic bomb, we used it! ... We are a nation of hands-on cosmic mechanics!--Bruce Sterling

The Russia House, John le Carre, corresponds to when Barley meets Dante in the movie: father taken by grey men in costume...

best spy story ever read ************ beside Volkow's Le retournement, and loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove the movie

Morry :):)

Oups agree on the Miller development and the best idea they had, otherwise would have been a 1960s flash gordon or worse...

Morry

Back