• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dark/Deep Romance?

snowblind

kickbox
I'm interested in writing a novel sometime soon, but first I feel I should do some reading into the genre I want to explore.

I'm looking for some really deep and somewhat dark romance novels... books that can be taken as metaphors in themselves for something more than just what's written.

I'm thinking maybe a bit of fantasy might come into it.

Can anyone recommend some decent books that fit that sorta description. Even if it's not neccessarily all of the above descriptions... just anything that you think might be of interest to read.

I used the search bar, and I couldn't find what I was after... sorry if there is something already like this.

I'm interested in writing a novel sometime soon, but first I feel I should do some reading into the genre I want to explore.

I'm looking for some really deep and somewhat dark romance novels... books that can be taken as metaphors in themselves for something more than just what's written.

I'm thinking maybe a bit of fantasy might come into it.

Can anyone recommend some decent books that fit that sorta description. Even if it's not neccessarily all of the above descriptions... just anything that you think might be of interest to read.

I used the search bar, and I couldn't find what I was after... sorry if there is something already like this.

You can't just set out to write a certain genre. Ideas and inspiration need to come into your head!

True, but it sounds like his (her?) inspiration has already hit, now it's time to fine-tune the technical aspects.

I'm not really into romance or dark literature so I can't suggest too much, but you might want to check out some gothic literature. Daphne du Maurier is wonderful, Rebecca being one of my all-time favourites. Jamaica Inn is very good too.

Years ago I read Tregaron's Daughter written under the pen name Madeleine Brent. I can't remember much about it now, but I loved it at the time.

I'm a Guy. ;)

ollie, I've already got ideas, and more inspiration than I could ask for, I just wanna read some books similar to my ideas that I can use as ideas for structure etc.

And thanks dele, I'll definitely check them few out.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out a bit. :)

Might seem like a strange recommendation, but if you have time and patience Pamela by Samuel Richardson could well repay a reading. It's a sentimental novel, 18th century, written in the letters/journal of a young maid who, on the death of her mistress, is kidnapped by the late lady's son. It has a slow start, and Pamela herself can be tiresome, but it's worth it for the character of her master who I see as a Heathcliff precursor, and for the unreality of her situation. It's deep and romantic but in a very subtle way, and could help to curb the temptation to be overly dramatic and therefore ruinous to some very good sentiments and ideas. :)

Back