• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Guterson: Our Lady Of The Forest

Writer44

It's been out for some years now, but Our Lady of the Forrest by David Guterson struck me as a fine work. I enjoyed the character development, the plot, and the style of writing. Guterson captured the essence of belief, the necessity of survival, and many shades of human corruption. All this set in the Northwest US where his descriptions are vivid enough to touch.

Wondering if anyone else liked it?

Read Snow Falling on Cedar when it first came out and was surprised when everyone started raving about the book. I didn't think it was a bad book, but I wasn't particularly fond of it either. So I shelved it mentally in the "vacation book" category and moved on.

But this book has swayed me to the opinion that maybe Guterson is just not my kind of writer. I gave up when I was 1/3 into this book because I didn't like any of the characters and was bored with the plot. The one thing that this book made me want to do was to watch Monty Python's The Life of Brian all over again.

awww.virginmedia.com_images_1banned_gal_life_of_brian.jpg

Man, that show is brilliant.

I too have only read Snow Falling on Cedars but I really loved it. I was amazed it hadn't heard of it before, I thought it was very well written. I'm sure I'll look up Guterson again as a result.

Back