• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Halberstam

morkys

Hello. I am not an avid reader, however, I am slowly increasing the number of books I read as time passes. One book I found very interesting was a book titled, The Making of a Quaqmire, by David Halberstam. The book was about Vietname in the period 1961-1963 with some details pertaining to the period leading up to the 61-63 timeframe, mainly the late 50's. What I loved about the book was that the writing was interesting and captivating. Of course, being an account of events by a journalist, it is close to cheating. The subject matter is real, and the writer is so immersed in the subject matter due to his role as a journalist, that its a matter of fact that the story is told with very good detail and resolution.

Bottom line is that I enjoyed the book very much. I was able to read this book at great speed, not that I wanted to read it super fast, but I rarely stalled and didn't find myself reading paragraphs over in order not to miss details.

Now I want to read his other books. Although I'm not necessarily only interested in the books about the Vietnam war, I am going to read most of those first. He also has interesting baseball books (I'm not interested in those) and for instance, a good book about the 50's in the US. I am a Canadian, so it would be interesting to have a glimpse of that era through an authors eyes.

What I would like to know is, beyond the obvious refering to writing and publishing dates, in what order should I read the rest of David Halberstam's books about Vietnam. There are books such as:

On very Hot Day
Ho
October 1964
The Best and the Brightest

and there are others of course.

Having read The Making of a Quagmire, what should I read next in terms of his books about Vietnam, and do any books supercede other books? For instance, are there books I shouldn't bother with because they are more or less similar or somewhat duplicated in other books of his? I could simply go in the order they were published, but I want to make sure I determine exactly what those books are, making sure I don't miss any.

Basically I'm looking for an expert in these books. Someone who has read all of his books on the Vietnam war and can advise me what books I should read next and in what order.

thank-you in advance for any info,

:)

I can see this post has been around for a while, but here goes anyway..

I have been looking for The Best and the Brightest and The Making of a Quagmire for some time,with no luck. The Fifties is a good book, also written by David Halberstam. I thought the Fifties was a boring decade, although I can't remember a lot about it personally, but his book shows it was not quite like that.

I was put onto his other books above while reading A Bright Shining Lie, by Neil Sheehan. A marvellous book about the Vietnam War, with plenty of history on Vietnam as well. Sheehan mentions David Halberstam and his books a number of times.

So if you want the same sort of excellent style, and this subject, try A Bright Shining Lie.

Back