• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Mitchell

Amazon came up with a random author just now- David Mitchell, author of 3 novels:

Ghostwritten
Number9dream (shortlisted for the booker prize)
Cloud Atlas

From what I've read on the reviews there, they seem to be Ian Banks/ Chuck Palahniuk territory (so how this random book came up, I've got no idea). Has anyone read any of his books, and what did they think?

Iain Banks and Chuck Palahniuk?! Sounds like my kind of guy!

So, if anyone knows this guy, let us know!

Good find, fluff!

Cheers, Martin :D

I've read both Ghostwritten and Number9Dream.

The first is better IMO.

It is the story of a character that travels across the world, across time, and through each story. It is quite fast-paced and well written. When I read it, I couldn't put it down. Not sure whether I would compare it to Banks, though.
Some of the stories have a kind of folktale feel to them.

Number9Dream is also quite fast. It is set in Japan, where Mitchell lived for some time, working as a teacher. It explores the way of life in Japan, and looks at reality and virtual reality. Not as good as Ghostwritten, I thought.

Cloud Atlas has been given a lot of good reviews here over in the UK. It sounds like it may be his best yet.

David Mitchell was included in Granta's 20 under 40 last year.

Skycat

I finished 'Ghostwritten' last night...I thought it was spellbinding...after every epsiode I thought..."Well, this one can't be as good as the last one...", but each time I was surprised by Mitchell's ability to stay captivating whilst changing to a completely different style. My favourite episodes were Mongolia and the Night Train...

What are other people's favourite parts?

When I finish work, I'm off to purchase 'Number9dream'...good stuff!

SHOULDN'T THIS BE IN THE 'AUTHOR DISCUSSION' ARENA?

Glad you liked Ghostwritten. I'm sure you'll appreciate Number9Dream, although I personally just about prefer Ghostwritten. I've got Cloud Atlas, but haven't read it yet. Maybe at Christmas....

Ou Be Low hoo,

I really liked the last section re: the DJ and the physicist/cosmologist. It was probably the most pulpy part of the book, and I would have found it tedious had it all been written like the last section, but its raciness and immediacy was fitting for the end part of the novel.

I also liked the bit about the Russian/Ukrainian(?) mafia guy and the lovers. I thought the mafia guy was a great description of embodied evil.

Cheers,

Skycat.

PS Its a great shame in my opinion that a gifted young writer like David Mitchell has had all his books shortlisted for major literary prizes and yet failed to win any. Ghostwritten was shortlisted for the Whitbread First Novel Award iirc, and Number9Dream and Cloud Atlas were both shortlisted for the Booker Prize, losing out to Allan Hollinghurst and, I think, Peter Carey (or was it Margaret Atwood?).

I liked the DJ section too...it had me alternately laughing out loud and thoroughly intrigued. The physicist part did have a good pace and thrill to it, but I just loved the bizarreness of the transmigration section the best.

How did you understand the final 'conclusion' to Ghostwritten? I know the connection is tied to the beginning of the novel with the 'Who is blowing on my neck' bit, but I'd be interested to hear your interpretation...

I've just finished the first part of 'Number9dream' and I'm feeling suitably dizzy...I'm looking forward to getting into 'Cloud Atlas' too...

I had never even heard of Mitchell untill I happened to pick up a copy of Ghostwritten in a book shop...Now, I'm thoroughly hooked! He is one of the first 'new authors' who has had a deep enough back-catelogue to keep me occupied past 2 books...I love Dave Eggers, DBC Pierre and Mark Jude Poirier, but their back-catelogues are so small they are quickly exhausted...

Resurrection of David Mitchell

I was about to start a new thread on David Mitchell, but decided to run a search first... and alas, there was already such a thread. Voila!

David Mitchell and Stephen King share one thing in common: they interested me in writing. You could even say their combined works (although strange when put together) influence some of my work.

Ghostwritten, number9dream, Cloud Atlas. Anyone care to resurrect this thread with me?

sirmyk said:
David Mitchell and Stephen King share one thing in common: they interested me in writing.
Ghostwritten, number9dream, Cloud Atlas. Anyone care to resurrect this thread with me?

without this--- "they interested me in writing", the former part of the sentence sounded like a scary alarm. (Ah.. that's because I (ab)normally don't like reading popular/mainstream authors' books, Stephen King, for instance). anyway. I renewed these books,Ghostwritten and number9dreams double twice, but haven't gone through further than 3 pages of each book. Guessed they just didn't seem to be effectively inviting. Mitchell's picture on the back cover looked good though. :D

I have only heard of Cloud Atlas which I have wanted to read. Have you read all three Sirmyk? Which did you like best? I like the description given for Ghostwritten, maybe I should start with that one.

Ronny said:
I have only heard of Cloud Atlas which I have wanted to read. Have you read all three Sirmyk? Which did you like best? I like the description given for Ghostwritten, maybe I should start with that one.
I have read the first two and I am starting Cloud Atlas soon. Definately start with Ghostwritten, his best (in my opinion).

While the world gets around to reading Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell has his next novel all ready to go: Black Swan Green comes out in April 2006 and here is what looks like the first review.

Shade said:
While the world gets around to reading Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell has his next novel all ready to go: Black Swan Green comes out in April 2006 and here is what looks like the first review.
Thanks for the link. There's never much advertisment when a new Mitchell novel is released.

Here's the Amazon page for it, although they only list the number of pages and a few other tidbits: Black Swan Green.

Given the success of Cloud Atlas, I'm sure there'll be plenty of promotion for it (at least in the UK) when it comes out - still eight months to go, after all!

Did you get started on CA yet, sirmyk? Here are my thoughts from another place. That was over a year ago and in the time since, my opinion has only gone up - a definite five-star read in my opinion, for ambition and ventriloquism and sheer verve alone.

Shade said:
Did you get started on CA yet, sirmyk?
It's next in my stack. I have the hardbound from the UK (redish w/ torquoise cover?). I will definitely return to this thread after reading to share my thoughts on the Cumulative Nimbleness. Ghostwritten is the book responsible for getting me into the writing. I love the idea of multiple stories meshing into one, which happens within my own work.

David Mitchell is one of my favorite current authors. I've read all his books so far and I'd have to say 'Cloud Atlas' is my favorite. It encapsulates all the themes from his earlier novels and expands them to a mind-boggling degree. He has such confidence in all the genres and places he explores.

Any news on when his next one is out?

Back