• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Sedaris

JMovie

I've been wanting a good funny book, and this author seems pretty good. Which do you recommend and would he be ok for a 15 year old boy. Don't worry about any parnetal guidance as I pretty much can read and watch anything.

JMovie said:
I've been wanting a good funny book, and this author seems pretty good. Which do you recommend and would he be ok for a 15 year old boy. Don't worry about any parnetal guidance as I pretty much can read and watch anything.

He's a pretty funny guy. I think he's OK for a 15 year old boy as long as you are mature and either 1) gay or 2) adult enough to deal with the fact that Sedaris is. I enjoyed Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day. I just picked up Dress Your Family in Courduroy and Denim this afternoon. I've heard it's funny too. You may want to give this site a search, because there are some other threads about him here too.

This doesn't really help but he was on The Late Show a short time ago and did a reading. Immensely amusing.

mehastings said:
He's a pretty funny guy. I think he's OK for a 15 year old boy as long as you are mature and either 1) gay or 2) adult enough to deal with the fact that Sedaris is. I enjoyed Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day. I just picked up Dress Your Family in Courduroy and Denim this afternoon. I've heard it's funny too. You may want to give this site a search, because there are some other threads about him here too.
I'm definetley adult enough to know he's gay, but if you aren't it is still funny?

JMovie said:
I'm definetley adult enough to know he's gay, but if you aren't it is still funny?

No, I mean adult enough to deal with the fact that he is gay and addresses it in his writing. We aren't talking about graphic erotica here, but if you aren't mature enough to deal with references to gay culture I'd say you should skip it.

Open up your sock drawer.
Stare into it for about 20 minutes
(25 minutes if you ‘ball up’ your socks)
[That was not a gay joke].
Pause.
Drink a tall glass of warm water.
Repeat.

*That* is more amusing that reading Sedaris.

Feel free to drink “tepid” water instead of “warm” water: this may make you feel more of the NPR (National Public Radio) crowd, who for reasons unknown, has made this guy a public annoyance – I mean famous.

*This* post is more amusing than reading Sedaris.

You’ve been warned,
j

JMovie,
I'm inclined to suggest that you give one of Sedaris' books a read yourself to see whether or not you like it. His books certainly don't have the "literary value" of some others I've read, but I've found them amusing. Perhaps it's because I have a person in my life who is frighteningly similar to the character Sedaris has created from himself. Perhaps it's just that I don't feel like I need to have some kind of tremendous experience with every book I read.

I'm currently reading Me Talk Pretty One Day at work, and I have to say that I'm not over-impressed. It's the first of his books I've read, and it's nowhere near as funny as I was led to believe it would be. Perhaps it's just not my sense of humour, but I won't be reading any more of his work.

I've read Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day. I thought they were both really funny. You could try David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall. That's a cd. It's his usual style of material but he reads it so you'd only be investing an hour at most.

I have found that he is more of a 'wry smile' read than a 'laugh out loud' one. I like the Santa Claus/Christmas stories best.

addeni said:
I have found that he is more of a 'wry smile' read than a 'laugh out loud' one. I like the Santa Claus/Christmas stories best.

I think you've got it exactly there. Wry smile, not laugh out loud. The Santaland Diaries was a really funny essay. I suspect it's an accurate portrayal of working at NYC Macy's santaland.

mehastings said:
I think you've got it exactly there. Wry smile, not laugh out loud. The Santaland Diaries was a really funny essay. I suspect it's an accurate portrayal of working at NYC Macy's santaland.

I hope so! ;)

Back