• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

David Weber - Field of Dishoner

Carlos

Just finished this 30 minutes ago.

General comment about me. I purely read for relaxtion and to pass the time at work when it's slack:) . Things I look for in a book are a fast pace and believable characters within the context of the novel. I mainly read scifi, fantasy and thrillers (action).

Field of Dishoner by David Weber (360 pages, pp edition, pub: BAEN) is the fourth in the Honor Harrington series which has been commonly compared to CS Forester's Hornblower series.

Honor Harrington's universe is set in a time where mankind has populated the galaxy, various star systems are controlled by different empires, the main two in this series being the Peoples Republic of Haven, and the Kingdom of Manticore, (read France and Britain/England). Weber has devised a stellar drive that has produced tactics similar to say the sailing ships that were used during the time of Nelson and the Battle of Trafalger.

In the series we follow Honor Harrington's rise within the Manticore Navy, with major battles and relationships along the way. Field of Honor deviates form the first 3 novels as it deals with Manticore internal politics and Honor Harrington's rivalry, antipathy and hatred with Lord Pavel Young, also a captain in the Manticore Navy. Also with the developing relationships that Honor has with all the people she comes in contact with. The plot is quite simplistic and it's easy to guess the next 'twist', I shall not add any details, as this would detract from reading the book. Saying this Weber's easy reading and fast paced style has produced an entertaining book, it will not win any major awards, but if you like military science fiction I recommend you pick up this book. Of course read the first 3 books before this one.

Rating
6.5/10

David Weber, the first novel is 'On Basilisk Station'.

If you like ebooks I think you can D/L a free copy from the Baen website. Just do a google search.

I have now read 7 in the series and I still enjoy them, although with any series it sometimes becomes hard not to follow a formula. However Weber throws Honor Harington into new situations each book.

Back