• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Debra Galant: Rattled

Miss Shelf

I finished this book last night. Like the blurb on the front cover, it reminds me a lot of Carl Hiaasen's books, but this one is set in New Jersey and centers around a housing development and endangered timber rattlesnakes. A self-centered housewife who has just moved into a "McMansion"-a huge, expensive house-with her husband and eight-year-old son, has her handyman kill a rattlesnake that's wandered onto her patio just as she's setting up for a tea party. The handyman tells her that the snake is endangered but she ignores him, but the snake has a tracking device implanted, and the naturalist who helps track the snakes finds the dead snake in the woman's trash, setting off a chain of events that culminate in the downfall of the developer who builds the houses. The kicker is that the developer knew the area was a habitat for rattlesnakes but lied to get the houses built.

I think the book was pretty good, lots of funny parts and insights, and it's hard to believe rattlesnakes are endangered, that was a revelation. I could sympathize-if a rattlesnake was threatening me, I'd certainly kill it too.

Back