• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Depression and Readers

AngusBenton

There has been much noted on the tendency of creative people to suffer from depression (or for depressive people to be creative?) which may support a connection between authors and the condition.

However, I wonder if any of you fellow posters have any thoughts about whether there might be a similar link between readers (avid ones, book people) and depression.

*awaits interesting responses*

I tend not to think so, just based on anecdotal experience. When I am depressed (seriously, not just day-to-day blah feeling), I can hardly read at all, but I write much more and produce much better first drafts. I tend to think that depression makes one less able to take in other people's thoughts, but more inwardly focused.

depression is grounded in reality right??? so any form of escape from reality will grow and be nurtured so as to prolong the escape.

Therefore, a musician will jam endlessly, and artist will paint, an author will write, and a reader will read simply to escape.....

novella said:
What makes you think depression is grounded in reality, Moto?

Maybe I should have said ones perception of reality, or how one interprets reality...does that make more sence?

Sort of makes more sense, but there are many who suffer from depression and just can't say why. They can't point to anything 'real' that caused it.

The book Darkness Visible is a first-person account that gets into this a lot.

A 'normal' person might 'feel depressed' when they lose a job or a spouse, but that's not the same as the type of depression that AngusB is referring to, which is a more pervasive, perennial mental condition without a particular cause.

I think.

True, there are chemical imbalances that have nothing to do with reality....I guess I was assuming the question was based on the average persons definition of just feeling blue, more than a clinically diagnosed depression.

edit: 8 posts to go sweetums....8 posts to go....

Whilst depression may cause some people to seek the escapism that books can offer, one of the well known problems with depression is that it can badly affect both concentration, attention span & memory.

I know from my own experience with clinical depression that, at least for me, I had absolutely no interest in reading (or anything else, for that matter). My attention span was so short, I couldn't focus on a thirty second tv commercial, much less read something longer than two sentences.

I don't see much correlation. I'm reading constantly and I'm as far from depressed as it gets. I've only met one voracious reader that was depressed (and he had good reason).

When a friend of mine was quite depressed she lost all interest in reading, and I noticed went more for a flick through a mag or news paper.
Don't know if that's the norm though?

One symptom of depression is a lack of interest in anything. Another symptom is for someone to retreat into imaginary places/states. Another is to become obsessive about something.

Just cause you're depressed doesn't mean you have all symptoms and react like others who are depressed.

There is a connection between creativity/intelligence and mental illness. There's a book by Kay Redfield Jamison called Touched With Fire that examines the link between creativity and mental disorders such as depression and bipolar. Try googling the book, the link I found was too long.

(Before I begin my rant, I want to say the connection I make with readers is that I'm working under the assumption that said readers are intelligent, more so than your average human being. This is how what follows relates to the thread)

I've had this discussion with people before, and I believe the suspected connection between mental disorders and intelligence has to do with mental capacity, which I understand is what true intelligence is based on. Mental illness is genetic, but it's also something that is normally *triggered*, manifesting at some point in time. One can have the predisposition for an illness through genetics, but it may never manifest, like a genetic alcoholic who never takes a drink. The intellectual ability to see further into things, to be capable of a deeper understanding of the various aspects of the world, I believe, can lead to mental disorders.

Around the time my bipolar manifested, the Matthew Shepherd murder occurred, and it hit me very deeply. It was the first time something outside my personal bubble had, in a word, penetrated me. I didn't understand how my classmates weren't affected by the knowledge of this kind of hate and violence in the world. It's as if this kind of understanding not only breaks open new caverns of deeper, more fulfilling thought and consciousness, but also breaks open far more savage caverns in the mind, those leading to chemical imbalance. My mother called this sort of thing a balancing out of the universe.

However, I'm not a doctor. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Maybe the connection is that reading is a solitary activity, and people who like to read a lot tend to be those who like to be alone. While I wouldn't say I'm depressed, I am definitely not a "joiner" - I don't like committees or group activities or team sports or crowds of people.

I don't think you can be creative if you are continually bombarded with noise, and the world is a noisy place. I think some people interpret that affinity for solitude as depression or eccenticity, but I'd rather be alone with a good book than forced to endure a mind-numbing cocktail party conversation with someone who really doesn't have anything to say.

Hmmm. Maybe I am a little depressed.

Back