• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Difference between British and American Order of the Phoenix

victory

yea, i read somewhere that the british version of OotP was about 150 pages shorter than the american version. Is this true? what would not be included in the british version?

I think the british version is shorter because of publishing. I think the type font is smaller or line spacing is smaller.

Didnt the american one also contain pictures before every chapter (near the heading of the chapter) or was it both versions?

As far as content goes all of it was the same, except for a few thousand copies in, I think, New Zealand who had two chapters missing from the end. This was re-released though.

(Geez, I wish my copy had two chapters missing - and not just because it's so big :D)

Mxx

I glanced at this thread and was mystified by the acronym "OOTP". It took a bit of searching in google. One meaning is in baseball, "Out of the park". But in the context of this thread it is Harry Potter, "Order of the Phoenix".

Here is a little quiz I found during my search on ootp:

http://eluzions.com/Puzzles/Quizzes/Potter5/

Sitaram said:
I glanced at this thread and was mystified by the acronym "OOTP". It took a bit of searching in google. One meaning is in baseball, "Out of the park". But in the context of this thread it is Harry Potter, "Order of the Phoenix".

I missed one. What was Hagrad's first gift to Karkus?

Will this get me barred from the subforum for Harry Potter?

Sitaram said:

Thanks, Sitaram!

I love a good debate between the Brits and the Yanks, but I was scratching my brain housing group trying to figure out what the f*** an ootp was! :D

I'm not even going to say what I thought OOtp was :eek: thank you sitaram for saving me from a potentially very embarrassing experience.

murphyz said:
As far as content goes all of it was the same, except for a few thousand copies in, I think, New Zealand who had two chapters missing from the end.
Yup, it was here where the two chapters were missing. Trust backwards NZ ;) :p

Kookamoor
I was about to ask the same thing - you can't just put that out there and not tell us!

:eek: I just saw that this was in the childrens section! - I can't believe I got it so wrong. Ummm basically when I was 13 I spent a summer with some family friends at their house in Cornwall, the couple are kinda very straitlaced and their grandson was my best friend. Anyhow to cut a long story short I stumbled across a secret stash - completely by accident of course :eek: and one of the books which i managed to read in record time contained a certain Order - members of which were supposed to go around making women - ummm find paradise if you know what I mean. I have never ever told anyone about this - thats probably why its always near the top of my head.

Gem said:
:eek: I just saw that this was in the childrens section! - I can't believe I got it so wrong. Ummm basically when I was 13 I spent a summer with some family friends at their house in Cornwall, the couple are kinda very straitlaced and their grandson was my best friend. Anyhow to cut a long story short I stumbled across a secret stash - completely by accident of course :eek: and one of the books which i managed to read in record time contained a certain Order - members of which were supposed to go around making women - ummm find paradise if you know what I mean. I have never ever told anyone about this - thats probably why its always near the top of my head.
HAHA! :D (Darn the too-short warning..)

LOL especially when i was so eager to find out:

victory:
yea, i read somewhere that the british version of OotP was about 150 pages shorter than the american version. Is this true? what would not be included in the british version?

how sad is it that im an avid potter fan and i got 5 out of 10 question right with one when i should have at least gotten 6-10 if it werent for one mistake i made *ugh*...just sad sad sad:(

I have both the U.S. and the U.K. version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The U.K. version was published first and I could not wait for the U.S. book to be published so I ordered the U.K. from Amazon.com.uk and then when the U.S. was available I also bought it.

There are a few differences. The book cover is different, the story has some slight changes, some of the names in the book are different and the "printing and size of the book" is quite different.

Back