• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Difference?

Mysteries are just that, they involve a puzzle or a series of puzzles top be deciphered by the protagonist and/or reader. These include detective stories, etc. and are designed to provoke thought and logical problem solving in the reader.

Horror is a lot of the time based on primal instincts like survival/death, fear of the suprenatural etc. There doesnt need to be an element of mystery on these stories, the purpose is to invoke pure fear in the reader.

I believe that thrillers are something of a middle ground. They are often grouped together with either horror or mystery based on which elements they use. The fear element of horror is often used, but it may be of a more sophisticated nature.

I hope this helps. It is merely a quick response to your question. There are prob some websites that will explain the difference.

I agree with Peronel's definitions. I would like to elaborate that a thriller does not have to be a mystery or horror, and mysteries and horrors do not have to be thrillers. Thrillers are, literally, books that thrill readers, usually with dramatic police chases, gun fights, and the likes. There may be some scenes where characters are frightened for their lives, but it is usually only horror if it involves supernatural, with few exceptions. (Hannibal Lecter, anyone?)

To me, mystery is a "I have to figure out what's going on. Who is it? What will happen?" novel. Normally, the reader is trying to figure out the same thing the main character is.

To me, a horror story is a "OH MY GOD! What's going on? That's really scary." novel. Normally, I see a horror story as a story created to scare the reader, and entice them to read more.

Most often, both are thrillers. Both use the idea of exciting the reader to read more. I really think that a mystery novel needs a suprise thrill just to make it worth reading. Otherwise, it is just a detective story, trying to figure out a cold case. Horror needs thrills, because without the thrill, it wouldn't scare us.

Back