• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Discussion: Rowling, J.K.: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Have now read it through twice. Liked it very much - though I think I preferred Goblet of Fire. Personally, I found the humour one of the best aspects of the book - Sirius's frightful family, Fred and George Weasley's battle with the awful Dolores. The fireworks they let off made me laugh out loud. What I have also enjyed about the last two books is that the plot has got more complex in the handling of the back story. By which I mean the fact that when Harry "stopped" Voldemort when he was a baby, things did not just become universally OK. There were nasty ramifications for many wizard people - a kind of witchhunt of deatheaters (real and suspected) and the terrible fate of Neville's family to name but two of the most obvious. I like the fact that J K Rowling has really gone into the subcreation aspect of the story and added such depth to the "magical world".:cool:

Oh, I know what you mean! The 1st book was so light-hearted in comparison! It's a bit frightening how the last two books have turned out. They've just been so *dark*.

I think I only got a real feel of it in book 4 when the Death-Eaters started their 'Muggle-baiting' at the World Cup, it actually really scared me, and realising at the time that these are *children's books* witch (hah!) will be read by 12 and 13 year olds.

I know Rowling's trying to make Harry grow up with her readers, but when she's writing about real people with real prejudices who can do real magic, it makes it all the more sinister.

But I do agree that it's added alot of depth to the Harry Potter world which I think most children's books often lack.

I totally agree with what everyone is saying in relation to how 'dark' the books have become, but I think that is excellent. The novels have intensified more and more and subsequently I have found it more and more difficult to continue with normal life when I'm reading one of them!
Finished the Order of the Pheonix today, absolutely outstanding, it equals the Goblet of Fire which in my opinion was the best of the series before 'Order'. As for the death of the character whom I shan't name (I'd hate to spoil it for anyone whose not there yet), I was in a state of shock for quite some time! Only when Harry vented his anger with Dubledore did I start crying, the realisation hitting me.
JK Rowling is a genius, these books stir such powerful emotions- I laugh, I cry, I'm frightened, I'mcompletely absorbed- it's all part of the magic of these books.
All I can say is the films will never do these characters justice...

The films will never contain all the detail that makes readers enjoy the books. Any film has to be (max) 3 hours. The films have had to follow the plot as faithfully as possible to keep especially the young and faithful readership happy. The problem is that this means in both of the films a good deal of detail has had to be sacrificed- I particularly regret the absence of Peeves for example.

The other problem I find with the films is that they are so faithful to the books. Before anyone thinks this is a mad comment to make, what I find problematic is that the books make ideal read aloud material. This is partly because each chapter tends to be like an episode ending with a mini-conclusion. This is great when the reader aloud is tired or it is bedtime for the listener. I don't find that works so well in the films because although there is a central plot thread, there is a tendency to move from episode to episode in the film and be aware of this. This might be me. I only notice it in the Harry Potter films. I haven't found this quite so much with the Lord of the Rings cycle - perhaps because the plot is so much less episodic.

To what Emz was saying...
the harry potter books make me very emotional too. I cried a few times after the characters death. i cried when it happened and when it was ever really mentioned after that. As for returning to normal life, It took me almost a week after i had finished reading it. For the three days i was reading it, i only came out of my room to eat and respond to my parents calls... I think people could tell i wasn't acting normal for a while. really, i would have been fine if it weren't for the character's death.

good afternoon everyone.
I just joined the forum and just finished the Fifth Book of Harry Potter. I found it great (although I'm not sure right wich is the best between Four and Five).
But, to repy about the "dark" side of the last two books. It seems not really surprising that JK Rowling had it written this way. The audience is growing up and look at what 12 or 13 years old children are playing at (I think of all the games presently on the top of the sales, like Tomb raider). Compared to that, The Harry Potter Books still look quite harmless. Ther must be a "body count" of ... what ... three or four people in this fifth book. that doesn't seem to hard. The death of Diggory in Goblet of fire was more schoking because it was sudden and happened to an innocent character.
What do you think?

Isn't it amazing that we can all become so attached to the characters in a book. Hobbs mentioned the "emptiness" which is a great word to describe the feelings we have when a book has come to an end. These fictional people start to mean something to us....that I believe is all in the gift of the writer. Fortunately, we have two more...but....then what??????!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what's next after the last 2 books. I think it would be great for J K Rowling to continue the series. I agree with hpfanatic; i've really become attached to all the characters. Of course my favorite character was recently killed off.... sry, i can't/ won't get over that for a while...

Hi!
I have just finished reading "Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix" and it is really great. But I think a few things remained unsolved:
1) What about Harry´s OWL results? If he wants to become an auror he has to get a few really good marks!
2) What did the members of the order of the phoenix do when they were "on duty"?

These are my guesses for your questions..
1. Find out next book.
2. I think they just guarded the door. I don't know if it will get into to anymore detail than that.

What would you think if Harry really died in the last book? It would be certainly tragic and very, very sad.. but I wouldn´t consider it too bad. An ending like "and they lived happily ever after" would be unsatisfying, I think! and Voldemort is not supposed to die.. actually, he cannot die!

oye!

I would terribly mind if Harry had died in the 7th book! It'd probably turn me off the rest of the books even though momentarily I adore reading them :)

Hopefully by the next book or two there'll be more information on what Harry's going to do after Hogwarts.

In the 5th book however, I especially liked Dumbledore's Army . I wonder how he felt about that when the paper was shown to him by Fudge. lol

Spoilers are bad. I read one (by mistake!) and found out who was going to die and it took me awhile to get used to the idea so during the book I wasnt worried about any of the other characters dying and got into the mode of trying not to get to attatched to the "dying character".

I didnt work. Haha, I was still very upset about it and didn't really accept the fact until Dumbledore himself said it was so. Do you think there's any possiblity that Harry could be in contact with the person who died or is it just ..the end for the two of them?

Well, that's what i wonder. if the dead character and Harry will contact eachother. I kind of think they will because of one of the last scenes in the book. Where harry was talking to Luna. For some reason i seemed to find a hint that they will be able to communicate with the dead. I really have my heart set on that idea. I hope its true.

Do you actually know what Voldemort really wants? He wants to gain power.. but just power over England or over the whole wizarding community? And how is he going to attempt that, with just a few Death Eaters on his side?

Thats a good question, i don't really know the answer either... i guess he wants power over all but i don't know how he'll get it.

I think it should end after the intended 7th installation. He'll be leaving school, it was where it initially meant to end, and there have been far too many things that continue just for the sake of making money. End it whilst it remains good.

Mxx

Yes, I agree with you, murphyz.. and besides, J K Rowling is one of the richest women in Great Britain.. she does not need any more money..

We're not stating she does, quite the opposite. A lot of the time things are continued only for the fact they are money makers - particularly so in the television industry where programmes such as Buffy, X-Files, Sopranos and so on carry on and on simply because they make money. In reality it would be good for them to end after season 5 but the companies spin it out as long as possible to make as much money as they can.

It would be tempting for an author to fall into this category and continue writing whilst the money was flowing until eventually it dies out and there is no demand for it any more.

We are suggesting Rowling does not need the money, therefore this will not be a motivating factor and the reason she writes is because there is a story to tell. This means that, if the choice was hers, and not that of Bloomsbury, then she will stop the story on a high, and not continue writing just because.

Mxx

Back