• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Discussion:The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty *Spoilers*

I'm right behind you, when I finish Memoirs of a Geisha. Hopefully we can discuss sometime.

I've also just started this. Started slowly, but once it got its hooks into me, I was up reading 'til 2:30am!

RitalinKid, how are you doing with The Memory of Running?

I just finished and would love to discuss it. Anyone else reading it?

Sorry, Ell. I'm only 65 pages into it. I'm trying to finish up Life of Pi, which I'm further along on. I'm reading Pi on the bike every morning; makes 45 minutes go by like nothing.

I can tell you what I like about The Memory of Running so far, the way he paints the picture. The scenes are so vivid. The one example I can give you is the part of the book where Smithy is talking to his dad's friend at the reception after the funeral. The way he describes his uncle's jokes and mainly the description of the two men talking. He says something to the effect of "...staring off toward an imaginary horizon..." to describe it. It's exactly the way two men talk to each other. I guess, then, the real thing I like is that he seems to have a good grip on his subject, people. Yeah, even while I'm thinking about it now, it's really striking. Isn't reading great?

Anyway, Ell and novella, you guys read a lot more than me. How do you review a book? Do you take notes as you read? Do you fold down page corners? Notes in the back? I can't possibly remember everything that I want to say about a book when I'm done with it. Maybe I'm taking this a little too seriously, so tell me if I'm being a freak.

Funny, I remember thinking the same thing about that line:

"We stood on the porch, Like men do when they talk to each other, looking away at some imaginary horizon."

You're right about the way he captures real people and the way they talk to each other. I take it you haven't started the part where he starts his journey. You're in for a treat. The further Smithy rode, the more I kept thinking I really like this man. I don't want to spoil it for you, so won't say anymore for now.

I don't take notes while I'm reading, but occasionally will write down a line or phrase that I find particularly striking. If I intend to write a more comprehensive review, I like to use post-it (sticky) notes to mark certain pages to go back to, but I don't like to interupt the flow of my reading by stopping to make copious notes.

And RK, if you're a freak, I need to meet more!

Hi RK and Ell,
I've been offline for a few days.

I don't take notes when I'm reading, but I do make a conscious effort to form ideas about what I'm reading as I go along--but then I forget half of that anyway. Looking forward to discussing when I catch up.

novella, I did notice that you were away. Missed my BD and all (just kidding, I know you don't like the traditional celebration for celebration's sake thing).

Please do catch up because I have a library copy that needs to be returned and I can't rely on my memory as well as I used to these days.

Ell, The Memory of Running has an almost theraputic effect for me. Anything like that for you? On another note, it really does suck you in, doesn't it?

Not sure about a therapeutic effect. Can you explain?

It's definitely a feel-good kind of story, though not in the traditional sense. Waiting patiently for you and others to finish, so we can discuss in a bit more depth.

Oh Ell, I have to confess, I went to the bookstore yesterday intending to buy it and balked at the $27 price tag. Feel bad. Went to library and they didn't have it. Got The Courage Consort instead and will have to catch up when I get my paws on the book. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Novella

Novella, you've let us down. "I kid! I kid!"

Ell, maybe it's just a feel good story, but I don't know. I identify with the feelings and the way he describes them. It's almost the same as when you talk to a real close friend that thinks like you. Kinda makes me feel less alone, like other people have similar experiences and some of the same thoughts run through other people's heads. That sounds depressing; I think I'm a little too stressed out right now. I'm going through one of those nothing-I-do-is-good-enough-and-I'll-never-be-good-enough phases, but the book helps me snap out of it at the end of the day.

The following post copied from "I just recently finished . . ." thread:
namedujour said:
I just finished reading "The Memory of Running" by Ron McLarty. It was excellent. It took me a few pages to get used to the very casual tone of the narrator, but that wasn't an issue at all.

The author takes very bleak subject matter (the sudden death of the narrator's parents, and learning of the death of his older sister, who has been a street person for 20 years) and writes a book that is funny, but never ever makes the bleakness of the issues funny. His humor is self-deprecating - he refers to his 279 pound self as a "fat-ass" and a drunk. However, his sister's psychosis is never the object of humor, even though the narration weaves humor into and around the stories of her as they were growing up.

The book moves from one time frame to another, first the present, then the past, back and forth. In the present, he bicycles across the US to claim his sister's body from an L.A. morgue, and in the process comes to grips with his guilt over his complete abandonment of a childhood friend who was paralyzed in a car accident. In the past, he reminisces about the sister, trying to understand what happened to her, and why nobody could save her from the "Voice" that kept ordering her to be self-destructive.

You would think from all that the book would be depressing, but it isn't. There is just enough humor to keep the whole thing afloat and you turning pages. I really recommend this one - I really, really do!

namedujour said:
I just finished reading "The Memory of Running" by Ron McLarty. It was excellent. It took me a few pages to get used to the very casual tone of the narrator, but that wasn't an issue at all.

The author takes very bleak subject matter (the sudden death of the narrator's parents, and learning of the death of his older sister, who has been a street person for 20 years) and writes a book that is funny, but never ever makes the bleakness of the issues funny. His humor is self-deprecating - he refers to his 279 pound self as a "fat-ass" and a drunk. However, his sister's psychosis is never the object of humor, even though the narration weaves humor into and around the stories of her as they were growing up.

The book moves from one time frame to another, first the present, then the past, back and forth. In the present, he bicycles across the US to claim his sister's body from an L.A. morgue, and in the process comes to grips with his guilt over his complete abandonment of a childhood friend who was paralyzed in a car accident. In the past, he reminisces about the sister, trying to understand what happened to her, and why nobody could save her from the "Voice" that kept ordering her to be self-destructive.

You would think from all that the book would be depressing, but it isn't. There is just enough humor to keep the whole thing afloat and you turning pages. I really recommend this one - I really, really do!

I really thank you for this concise review that make the book more and more captivating to me! Thanks a lot.

I loved the characters. Once I was done with the book, I missed Smithy and Norma. It really felt like the book ended too early. I want to see what happens next. I guess that's a testament to his writing.

I've started to write a post three times now, and I still can't find the words to describe what all I like about this book, so here's a real lame attempt. Smithy was this everyday guy who had trouble dealing with the events of his life, and despite being a self proclaimed coward, somehow he comes off as a hero by dealing with his problems in an unusual way. Norma made it all possible though; she was a great supporting character. It seemed like her love of the Smithy she remembered helped carry him.

One thing that was a major strength was all the little things. The story was peppered with great characters and life lessons. I enjoyed the people he met on his journey. They made for some real interesting and emotional moments. Then, there was Count. Jeez. I loved him, but he's also the guy you hate at times. He's a good guy, but he's oblivious to just how offensive he can be.

One paragraph that was memorable to me was the opening of a chapter 41. It was about those times when you put off simple acts of kindness until they're no longer easy to do because you're embarassed at how long you've put it off. I can definitely identify with that. The book is peppered with those type of descriptions, and I really ate those up.

I feel like I got so wrapped up in the characters that I missed any sort of symbolism there might've been. Did anyone else pick up on any symbolism? This book will definitely get a re-read.

Help me out here, Ell. There's so much to talk about that I'm stuck. Can you expound on any of this and maybe get this going in one direction or another? :eek:

**Spoilers**

RitalKid said:
I've started to write a post three times now, and I still can't find the words to describe what all I like about this book, so here's a real lame attempt. Smithy was this everyday guy who had trouble dealing with the events of his life, and despite being a self proclaimed coward, somehow he comes off as a hero by dealing with his problems in an unusual way. Norma made it all possible though; she was a great supporting character. It seemed like her love of the Smithy she remembered helped carry him.
Yes, it's hard to know where to start. I'll give you some of my impressions.

Smithy is not the person he presents to the outside world. Everyone thinks he's an overweight, lazy, loser in a dead-end job. It's what he thinks of himself. Why?

Here's a guy who, from a very young age, feels responsible for the well-being of his older sister, Bethany. He idealizes her and thinks she's the most wonderful, most beautiful, smartest creature in the world. His entire childhood revolves around keeping her safe, rescuing her during her psychotic breaks and worrying about when the next episode will occur. His parents are so caught up in Bethany, that Smithy seems like an afterthought and only valued for his ability to keep an eye on Bethany. The only childhood friend he has is Norma and he constantly pushes her away. It's as though, without Bethany, there is no Smithy.

Bethany, for her part, constantly sends him mixed messages. On the one hand, she's grateful to him for saving her from all sorts of humiliation. On the other hand, she calls him stupid and belittles him. This from a sister he worships. When she finally disappears for good, what becomes of Smithy? No wonder he's so messed up. On a scale of one to ten, I'd say his sense of self-worth is about a two.

I loved the way McLarty gradually reveals the real Smithy. As he loses the fat, we begin to see the real Smithy that's been hidden from both himself and the outside world.

He seemed incapable of seeing himself as anything other than a loser and a drunk. He constantly referred to himself as a "stupe" and a coward, and the fat, middle-aged Smithy that we're introduced to at the beginning of the book seems to fit the bill. He constantly answers, "I don't know", to almost every question put to him. It's not that he doesn't know, it's because he doesn't trust his own opinions. Throughout the book, only Norma saw and loved Smithy for who he really was.

Other thoughts:
His cross-country quest to find Bethany is really a quest to find himself.
For all the bad people in the world, there are just as many kind and good ones.
How could Smithy's body take all that punishment?

Sorry for the ramble. More later.

Ell, don't be sorry for the ramble. If anything, give us more next time. Here, I'll ramble some if it'll make you more comfortable.

Smithy was already in decline when Bethany went missing. He was already complaining about not having anyone to socialize with in East Providence. He says this is a New England thing, but I think it happens everywhere. Was it his guilt about Norma that started his decline? Bethany leaving was the final nail in his coffin. In it he buried his guilt under bottles of alcohol, cigarette packs and food. It seemed to me that it didn't bother him so much that he was wounded in the war. That's what you would think would have made him angry or depressed, but it wasn't. He really beat himself up over his sister and his treatment of Norma.

Ell, you've further convinced me that I'm Smithy, and maybe we're all Smithy to a degree. Throughout the book, I kept feeling like I knew this guy too well, and when he stated that he was a coward because he didn't say anything when he didn't know what to say, I knew I was Smithy. You've pointed out that Smithy had low self esteem, something I know I have a problem with, and at the end of the book, do you think he's changed? I don't. I think he's just learned to accept who he is and accept what happens to him in life. All the people along the way have terrible things happen to them, and they go on living, doing what they love regardless of who they are or what's happened to them. The closing scene is of him running carefree, pushing Norma off into the sunset (basically).

"As he loses the fat, we begin to see the real Smithy that's been hidden from both himself and the outside world."

I don't remember seeing a change in him (other than the obvious physical change). I think he's just removed himself from the alcohol, cigarettes and food that have been numbing him to the world, allowing him to slip by unnoticed in life. His vices allow him to be content with ignoring his problems.

I think his quest was about learning to live with himself and with others.

Each encounter with a group of people did support what you said about good and bad people. There were always kind people, the priest, the dying man & his doctor, the boy and his family, the truck driver and the mechanic, and there were bad guys, the cardinals, the police officers, and the heroin addict. More good guys than bad guys I'd say, but the bad guys can make life miserable as they did in the story.

Here's a question. As a guy, a guy that admires all parts of the female anatomy, what was the deal with his breast obsession? Was there an underlying point there? He didn't see women as just sex objects. I'm thinking he sought approval from women, but I'm up in the air as to whether or not he did. Even so, I don't know how it would tie in. Anyway, I have to hand it to Smithy for turning down Chris and the "orchard". :) His will is legendary. I understand how having someone special makes the offer a little easier to turn down though. Still can't believe he turned her down.

What importance did Bethany's prophecies play?
Was Bethany angry about the way he treated Norma?
Did you see any rhyme or reason to Bethany's poses or disappearances?

I don't remember seeing a change in him (other than the obvious physical change). I think he's just removed himself from the alcohol, cigarettes and food that have been numbing him to the world, allowing him to slip by unnoticed in life. His vices allow him to be content with ignoring his problems.
Yes, he used the alcohol, cigarettes and food to buffer himself from reality and the people around him. Not having them available was a major factor in getting back to 'himself'. I think the change in him was very subtle. He didn't suddenly have an epiphany and totally change his personality. Rather, he started listening to what was going on in and around him again. He saw the good and bad in people and and didn't turn away. Bit by bit, he allowed Norma to become part of his journey (and life) again. And the ending, where he's able to say "I love you, too" to Norma is a huge change. People who don't like themselves usually think they are unloveable and have a hard time accepting the fact that someone else could find them loveable. (Have you ever noticed that people with poor self esteem have difficulty maintaining relationships? They either reject the other person outright or end up sabatoging the relationship. But, I digress.)

Throughout the journey we see glimpses of what I feel is the true Smithy. He's a kind and decent guy with a very strong moral compass - something he's managed to bury with the booze and fat. A couple of examples: He sees the father and son fishing and tries to help the boy succeed despite the badgering of the boy's father; he rescues a boy from a freak snowstorm; he doesn't complain when he's ignored because the AIDS guy is sicker than he is. That's why I made an earlier comment about really 'liking' Smithy. He's a good guy, but doesn't know it - something that Norma knows all along.

RK, I had to laugh at your comment about Smithy's obsession with breasts. I have no idea why he's so fixated. You're a guy - you're supposed to know. :D But, must say when he turned down that offer from Chris, it made me like him even more! (Women are big on the loyalty thing, ya know.)

You may be right about there being a bit of Smithy in all of us. It's the part of us that tells us we're not good enough, worthy enough, or smart enough.

Bethany's poses were a real part of her psychosis (I'm sure there's also some underlying metaphor or symbolism too, but I can't quite grasp it yet), but I think for Smithy they served as picture perfect moments that helped him idealize her to such an extent. So much of his psyche is tied up with Bethany that it was only fitting for him to follow visions of her all the way to California.

ell

Ell said:
I think the change in him was very subtle. He didn't suddenly have an epiphany and totally change his personality. Rather, he started listening to what was going on in and around him again. He saw the good and bad in people and and didn't turn away. Bit by bit, he allowed Norma to become part of his journey (and life) again. And the ending, where he's able to say "I love you, too" to Norma is a huge change.
This was something I liked about the story; it was realistic. In the movies, people almost always have epiphanies at a climax in the story. Most people's lives don't have a climax. I agree with you about the importance of him being able to tell Norma that he loved her. I think we saw that coming, and I was ready for it. It is real easy to numb yourself to what's happening around you.
Ell said:
People who don't like themselves usually think they are unloveable and have a hard time accepting the fact that someone else could find them loveable.
Thanks for strengthening my belief that I am, in fact, Smithy.
Ell said:
He's a good guy, but doesn't know it - something that Norma knows all along.
Norma was key. She gave him money to start his journey, but that wasn't her main role. She supported him all along the way. She cried when he didn't call her, and she let him know that she wanted to hear from him. She answered the phone at all hours. Smithy knew he could always count on Norma. What a great woman. What a great person.

Norma's disability actually taught her a great lesson. She knew she was still the same without use of her legs. That let her know that even though Smithy looked different and seemed a little different he was still Smithy. Here's something odd though. He was actually kinda mean to Norma as a kid. As his junior, do you think she idealized him? Do you think she believed in who he could be, instead of who he was? I need to re-read that part.
Ell said:
RK, I had to laugh at your comment about Smithy's obsession with breasts. I have no idea why he's so fixated. You're a guy - you're supposed to know. :D But, must say when he turned down that offer from Chris, it made me like him even more! (Women are big on the loyalty thing, ya know.)
1. When he turned down Chris, it made the story very idealistic for me. I'm sorry, Ell, but guys have a serious problem dealing with the soft skin that higher estrogen levels afford women. That scene was so sexy. Geez, what a fantasy!
2. I love breasts, and I notice them... all the time. What I didn't understand was how almost all women were described by their breasts. I don't know what McLarty was trying to say about Smithy, or about men. As a guy, it's hard for me to step back and say. I really need to re-read this... :)

This morning in the shower, I realized other ways that I'm similar to Smithy. I lost an older sibling, too. His sibling wandered off, but she was lost to him regardless. On top of that, while Smithy's sister suffered from mental disease, my sibling was an alcoholic, which is also a disease that is partly mental. While 279 lb. is pretty fat, I'm only a little pudgy at 210, but the irrational part of my mind beats me up and tells me I'm a fatass all the time. I find comfort in food the way that Smithy did. I beat myself up over things that I shouldn't worry so much about.

There are a lot of parallels, but thank goodness for the contradictions. I graduated college and have a good job; I don't bury myself with alcohol or cigarettes, and even though I'm not the most organized person, I'm not quite the mess Smithy is or was? Did he change or learn to live with it?? :)

Now, seeing that I identify quite a bit with Smithy, I have to say I loved the way the book was written regardless of my own Smithy-ness. The scenes were very vivd for me. After reading the book, I realized that my girlfriend was right when she told me I underappreciated works of fiction. It's a beautiful art to be able to paint a picture with words. For me, McLarty's words touched every sense and emotion, some at the same time. I would love to give examples, but I'm pressed for time because it's 7:15 am, and I need to get to work.

Back