• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Discworld - Terry pratchett

Snowwhite

Can anyone tell me the correct order of these books.

I have been reading a bit about this series but don't know which order they hould be in.

Do they come recommended too?

Apart from the first two books there's no plot that continues between the books. A general recommendation is to at least read the books that focus on a certain group of people in order.The best recommended reading order I've come across on the internet. (though it's not up to date any more.)

You could just follow the books by chronological order (more or less) but the first two books differ a lot from the rest so it's not necessarily recommended to begin with them if you want to get a taste of the series.

I would recommend to begin with 'Small Gods', 'Mort' or 'Guards! Guards!'.

Wolhay said:
Apart from the first two books there's no plot that continues between the books. A general recommendation is to at least read the books that focus on a certain group of people in order.

I agree with Wolhay here. Although there is no set order, it does make sense to ensure you read the ones concerning, for example, The Watch in order.

Wolhay said:
I would recommend to begin with 'Small Gods', 'Mort' or 'Guards! Guards!'.

Funny you should say that - my first Discworld book was Mort, followed by Guards! Guards! And Small Gods is also one of my faves. :)

If you want to read them in publication order, the first one is The Colour of Magic. Once you have that one, all Pratchett's books will be listed in order in the front! But like Wolhay says, I don't think the first two are really indicative of the rest. Pratchett seems to be still finding his way, and I didn't find them as good as the others. But that's just my opinion. :)

'Small Gods' is one of the books that I've reread the most times. It's also a good choice to begin with since it's one of the few stand-alone books.

I started off with Wyrd Sisters and at that time, I was studying Macbeth for my O'levels. The parallels and the way the story was re-moulded and given new life intrigued and fascinated me. This led me to his other books and I found my enthusiasm growing. Besides, I appreciate Pratchett's way of writing, including his humour (and let's not forget the footnotes!). The Witches series and the Watch series are my favourites.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will do as you say. I wouldn't want to read the first 2 and be put off the rest!!

Thanks again

Contrary, and as no surprise, I am most inspired by The Colour of Magic, although I do get the points that TP developed as he progressed - if that isn't a tautology.

Geoff

I think you should start with watch books and read Nightwatch last. There is no ties between the watch books, but they appear to be in some sort of a chronological order.

Back