• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

dnd and forgoten realms

marxlaws

this all about forgoten realms and me reliving my puberty. just before i grew my hair long and got my first girl and hd ,before being a "cool " teenager i was addicted to dnd.gary gygax was the bomb and then came tph and dmg and mmI and you if you are in step with me on this know all the excellent publications that followed. we had a group of really weird "special" freinds that would get together and devote thousands of hours to this game. it is a cherished memory that even today with house payments and mini vans and the pta i can relive with these books. some are really good, some are taken straight from mods, some i admit are not war and peace but .. they even get their own section in bookstores because people buy the crap out of them. dragon lance was loosely based on the dnd 1st edition rules i think and theyn there was greyhawk which was totaly based on gg's world.. all of them good stuff.. so why do people on web sites dismiss them so quickly? why is formulaic card played so often ? these books were /are everything you can want when you think of sword and magic fantasy! in fact dnd was the basis for one of my all time favorites gaurdians of the flame by joel rosenburg. it is; if you take ALL the books together, one of the single most biggest undertaking and developement of any world EVER created. so give it a chance for pete sake! :eek: ;)

and if you told me i had a choice between lets say ...required by my col lit teacher the classic -the AGONY and the ECSTASY by i stone or twilight fallingps kemp (forgotten realms) well thats easy fr every time tyvm!

One of these days, I have got to try some of the forgotten realms books. I keep hearing people say they are good. Does anyone have any titles they could recommend?

I never had the chance to play paper DnD games when I was a teen. I had a boyfriend who used to play it with his friends from school, but it was like a secret society to which girlfriends were never invited.

Later, I started to play computer RPGs based on DnD (more or less). There was a game called Betrayal at Krondor that was co-written by Raymond E. Feist. That game led me to read his "riftwar" series of books. The computer game led me to an interest in fantasy books back then...now I am hooked.

I did enjoy these books, but they keep coming and coming unrelentlessly and soon you are overcome by them. I view DL and realms like sweets as compared to meat and po-ta-toes of a author like Tad williams or George Martin

I think the early realms stuff is good such as Moonshae trilogy, Dark Elf trilogy, and Pools trilogy

ice wind dale was one of the first and one of the good series. that series introduced drizt the happy drow. and they are reprinting a well writen one the moonshea trillology. one of my fav has to be the " time of the troubles and the tablets of fate books.

Back