• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do authors make a living now the internet has pirated their work?

what is this in reference to? bit hard to discuss when we have no idea what what this is about. Was there some news? Something happen? An article?

Yeah, I'm confused; is there some literary version of Napster out there? Are are you talking about E-books in general? B/c there are definitely King E-books on the market....

Writing is a business like any other. In terms of online publishing, well, it's just very very important to read any contract very very carefully.

If there is no clarification from OP on this thread, I'm going to delete it. Without context there is nothing to discuss.

Yeah, I'm confused; is there some literary version of Napster out there? Are are you talking about E-books in general? B/c there are definitely King E-books on the market....

Writing is a business like any other. In terms of online publishing, well, it's just very very important to read any contract very very carefully.

I just wondered if anyone knew, that's all.
With so much theft and net coverage, I wondered if books had become like 7" singles?

I'm not sure if the OP is going to clarify what she is asking, but I'll offer my experiences with publishing.

I'm published with a small micro publisher, we publish e-books and POD and are paid royalties, nothing in advance. For authors with
the larger advance paying trade publishers their experiences may be different.

My publisher is constantly checking to make sure our books aren't being pirated and I do as well. We have found pirate sites and had
our books removed. As authors has that cost us royalties, yes, I'm sure it has. Can we prove it? Doubtful. The site can always claim the books never sold.

What hurts authors just as much, maybe even more is Amazon A-Stores. When a publisher joins Amazon they can add to have
A-Stores sell their books, or reject that option. My publisher initially accepted the offer, then rejected it when they learned we would only
receive pennies in some cases for our books. Despite not participating in the A-Store option our books are still for sale in them.

Anyone can set up an A-Store, claim to have books in stock and sell them. Problem is, they do not have books in stock. The books are made through Createspace and drop shipped, using the A-Store info. Ergo, the seller has no financial stake in the book and makes the lion's share of the profit. In some cases authors make as little as 18 cents per book.

Amazon defends themselves saying they are giving the author extra, free publicity and sales outlets. Very few of these stores generate sales large enough for authors to see a financial benefit. It is in many ways legalized piracy.

This is why I have refused to use Createspace to publish. Reading their T & C's I realised that you are giving up far too many rights to them. As far as pirate copies or shall we rather say, illegal distribution of books, there are tons of sites, and it does hurt revenue. Enough that authors no longer make any money? I doubt it. Making money from writing has always been a difficult thing. If you are a 'big name' author, selling gazillions of copies and are on the best seller lists - you are making money and lots of it. Pirate copies will still cost you, but will you notice? I doubt. If you are not a best selling author, you ain't getting rich or giving up your day job. (Reality bites sometimes). And it is unlikely that your book will be as widely illegally shared as a best seller or at all. However you are more likely to notice the loss of income that results.

I have always had the opinion that illegal sharing (excluding the criminals who do it on a commercial scale as part of a larger criminal activity) is due to a combination of availability and cost. For many people around the world, illegal copies is the only way they can access things. Companies don't ship to all countries, or the post is prohibitive or material is banned. Movies and books are available months or years later, and are ridiculously expensive. And I have always said part of the solution is to increase availability and lower the price. Whether it is books or movies or music, the artists make the least and the customers pay the most, and the inbetween guys get rich.

I'm not sure if the OP is going to clarify what she is asking, but I'll offer my experiences with publishing.

op?! you cheeky thing, I'm only 25!

What your answer explained was shocking and was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.....x

Raspunsul, in case you really are still wondering, "Original Poster" or "OP" refers to the original (or "first") person to post the question or statement in a thread or conversation.

Back