• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you have a favorite painter?

Gem said:
Appolonia, That I can appreciate. I'm not familiar with Robert Henri, so I looked him up, was this by any chance the gypsy boy you mentioned?

Unfortunately, no. I've not ever been able to find a reproduction in any form. If I recall correctly, he had a number of paintings featuring gypsies. If I can ever get my hands on the image, I'll post it.

Henri also taught art at the New York School of Art, and Edward Hopper was one of his students. He's another favorite of mine.

bren said:
This is a good group, though Picasso is definitely a mixed bag. Vermeer has a greater *hit* ratio per body of work, I feel. His oeuvre was pretty ding small. Didn't Sargent do both watercolors and oil paintings - I think I'm remembering right, his stormy seas maybe ... ? And Libre, what about the guy that painted your avatar? Forget his name, blast it!
Don't know about the stormy seas - that sounds more like Winslow Homer. Sargent was a portrait painter, primarily. His most famous work is Madame X, which was a total scandal when it was painted. I mean, it turned the art world upside down.
It's not my favorite Sargent painting, but it is the most well known.
awww.lynetteabel.org_sargent14.jpg

This one IS one of my favorites:
awww.lynetteabel.org_LadyAgnew_s.jpg

I've seen several shows of his portraits, and I tell you, his work is magnificent.
Oh, my avitar was painted by Mondrian.

Gem said:
Baddie & Muggle, aww..that's lovely, how nice to have artists in the family :) .
Edna Hibel? Another name to look up, this thread is getting to be very educational.
Do not mistake Hibel for a Picasso, however, I really like her work. Her painitngs are earthy and you can feel the reality in them. I have one painting and also one of her plates. http://www.hibel.com/aboutartist.htm

Now, on my GD, don't take my liking of her art because she is my GD. The young girl has talent in anything she has tried. Ask sofia, poppy, or steffee about her poems. She simply sits down and writes a poem or does a painting and when you see it you are amazed.

Gem said:
Fantasy Moon, surreal paintings? So I guess you're another Dali fan?
I don't know. I'm sure I've probably seen some of his work at one point or another. When I took an introduction to art class at the community college, I remember that I enjoyed the unit we studied on surreal paintings.

Peronel, thank you for the reply, I may just take another look at some abstract paintings and see if I can view them in a different light.

Aqua, the paintings in your links look more like photos don't they? Whilst I didn't find them all that appealing I can certainly appreciate the extraordinary talent.

Appolonia, you have me curious now, I want to see the gypsy boy too :D .

Libre, Wow, Sargant is special.

Muggle, thank you for the link, sadly my knowledge is rather lacking when it comes to American artists so I'm always grateful for the information. As for your granddaughter, I don't doubt that she is talented, in fact I saw the Animal Farm paper you posted on CDA's forum, and it was very impressive.:)

Fantasy Moon, when I get a minute, I'll put up a link for you on Dali.

I am a big fan of the impressionist school. I really like Monet, Manet and Pissaro.

Although an expressionist, my favorite painter is Vincent Van Gogh. I have been to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam two times. The story of his life is a great tragedy. I like all of his paintings, especially his landscapes and self portraits.

Sorry Fantasy Moon I forgot about the link :eek: .
HERE ya go.

Justin91, Pissaro is pretty amazing, his paintings have a feeling of brightness - sounds strange but I can't explain it any other way.

Art that I have thoroughly enjoyed is that of Aboriginals pf Australia. I have visited the following museum and viewed the paintings. It frequently requires study of the paintings to gain a glimpse of the meanings in the work. I don't really know how to explain it, but I do enjoy the paintings:

The Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection of the University of Virginia came into being in 1997 through a gift by American businessman, John W. Kluge. Influenced by the Dreamings exhibition in New York, Mr. Kluge began collecting Aboriginal art in 1988. Over the next decade he compiled one of the finest private collections of Australian Aboriginal art in the world.

http://www.virginia.edu/kluge-ruhe/index.php?p=about

Justin, I'm with you on Van Gogh. I love his bright colours and how he simplifies the landscape and lines. Another painter a like quite a lot of, is Gerry Baptist, again hot colours and simplicity.
25i0v2t.jpg

Peronel, meant to say I absolutely love the Black Spot painting, have it as my screen saver now. Don't like a lot of abstract art but that is really amazing.

Poppy: I use it as my screensaver too! It's a little distracting sometimes. I switch between that and Composition V..and, well, most of the others from the link I posted :)

Poppy1 said:
Justin, I'm with you on Van Gogh. I love his bright colours and how he simplifies the landscape and lines. Another painter a like quite a lot of, is Gerry Baptist, again hot colours and simplicity.
25i0v2t.jpg

Poppy, you stated precisely what I love about these guys (especailly Van Gogh) - simplicity! I have tried to paint in the style of Monet and Gogh, and although simplistic, it is very hard to do. Fortunately I did not quit my day job and most of my art supplies go unused these days; I still dabble with pastel now and then.

I will have to do some research on Gerry Baptist. I do not know his work.

There are many painters I love...Goya and Suerat, Raphael and Michalangelo to name just a few. I like most art, just not a lot of the modern stuff. When I was real young I was first exposed to paintings by looking in the huge Catholic bible we had in our home. Inside, there were colored plates, realistic paintings of angels, demons and saints. I could not believe that they were not pictures, but paintings. That was an awakening for me. Although I am no longer Catholic, I still carry a love for those paintings.

muggle said:
Art that I have thoroughly enjoyed is that of Aboriginals pf Australia. I have visited the following museum and viewed the paintings. It frequently requires study of the paintings to gain a glimpse of the meanings in the work. I don't really know how to explain it, but I do enjoy the paintings:
[/url]

Thanks for the link muggle. I really like Aboriginal art too, it's just so fascinating. I can't think of any names from the top of my head but there was an artist I found intriguing - he was leader of his clan and his work was for me even more amazing and thought provoking because he was the 'holder of stories' for his clan. If only I could remember the name...Matjawi perhaps? Oh well.

How about local artists? Elizabeth Nourse was born and got her start in Cincinnati and I love her work. This is one of her paintings.

nourse1.jpg

“La mere” (The Mother), 1888 - Elizabeth Nourse

Peronel said:
Poppy: I use it as my screensaver too! It's a little distracting sometimes. I switch between that and Composition V..and, well, most of the others from the link I posted :)

Another amazing painting Peronel. Will certainly have to look at more of this guys work.

Thank you for the link to Dali, Gem. The only painting of his I was familiar with was 'Premonition of Civil War', which I think is quite .....well I don't think much of it. But other works of his are very different and I like them a lot.

And Monet's are simply lovely, Justin.

hai, i'm a newcomer. since i've read da vincci code, i download all the pictures relating to the stroy to check for the truth.

Appolonia said:
How about local artists? Elizabeth Nourse was born and got her start in Cincinnati and I love her work. This is one of her paintings.

I checked out some of her paintings online. Amazing! Do you know if any of her work is displayed locally?

Justin91 said:
I checked out some of her paintings online. Amazing! Do you know if any of her work is displayed locally?

There are several in the collection of the Cincinnati Art Museum, of course. You can search the museum’s collection at the web site: http://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org I can't find any mentioned in the other Ohio art museums. I managed to see “The Mother” displayed in our museum during a P&G exhibit, which I’m sure they’ll run again.

I remember also seeing one of her pieces titled “Moorish Prince” in a traveling exhibit from the New Britain Museum of American Art. It was striking.

Back