• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you judge a book by its cover?

Does the cover of the book decide whether you buy the book or not?

• Total voters
I disagree Stewart. I think bookshelves look better with a mismatched array of books lining them, but each to their own.

I'm with Stewart on this one. I'd be happy if the booksellers went back to selling just the book-blocks, and leaving the customer to have them bound however they see fit. :cool:

It's just the name of the book without any sort of cover at all. Traditionally you'd buy them like that and then go to your own 'family' bookbinder, who would bind the book to your specifications. Usually (but not always) by matching it to the rest of the books in your collection. :)

:) I suppose I can just about tolerate the mass produced covers if it means I can afford to buy more books. If I must. ;)

See, I knew I'd manage to convince you eventually.

Imagine going to a library or bookshop and every book looked the same though?! Scary!!

Oh, I could handle that, but I think the book displays would lose some of their effect. :D

But just imagine: a world where an author's name will only appear in giant gold lettering if you personally requested it. Heaven. ;)

It sounds terrible, but if a book has an ugly cover (the Charlaine Harris books are a great example), I probably won't buy it. The book cover interests me, then I look through the pages, then I buy it. If I like what's inside and don't care for the cover, I still buy it.
In my opinion, "don't judge a book by its cover" only applies to people. If a book has a poorly-done cover, it is probably because the publisher wasn't enthusiastic enough about the book to hire a good artist, therefore good books have good cover art.

I have to wonder what would happen if books came out with no covers, like they did until fairly recently in history. I suppose it would be too much trouble for people to squint at the gilt lettering on each spine and they'd all look alike, except maybe for different color lettering.

However, books without covers would have to have a slip of paper describing the contents. I can visualise the bookstores littered with the description slips since they're magazine-insert-like and some people wouldn't bother picking them up if the fall on the floor.

The Cover of a Book

i know this might be a subject readers keep to themselves but....

1) does the cover of a book influence the way you read the back, or the opening page?

2) if so, what catches your eye, or makes you desire to read it.

i am guilty of this. most of the time i look for a cover with a simple color pattern and choice of text. usually a book that looks like this "knows" its a great read, it doesnt have to impress anyone.

I truly do not allow the cover to influence my purchase. I go by author. I do love the cover (below) for The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco; I think it is the first edition.

umberto_eco.jpg

Back