• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you judge a book by its cover?

Does the cover of the book decide whether you buy the book or not?

• Total voters
Cover Artwork

I would like to recommend Michael Ian Bateson to anyone interested in original artwork for horror/dark fiction covers and/or artwork. I'm sure he would be interested in providing artwork for literary and other genres as well, but most of his work is rather dark in nature.

You can see his work here: www.oxygen-8.com, under Gallery.

He did the cover artwork for Palindrome Hannah, as well as some amazing interior plates (which I am hoping to use if PH is ever picked up by a traditional publisher).

M.I.B. is currently seeking commision work, and usually charges around $150 for book covers, and about $100 for interior plates or other artwork. Whether or not you are not interested in obtaining artwork, visit his website to check out some of his amazing creations.

Feel free to post comments here.

Book cover designs

Do you ever purchase a book solely based upon the design on the front of it? I have to admit that when it comes to fiction works-the design does play a large role for me. I've been very attracted visually to some works over others based on this. I don't know if others experience the same thing, though I imagine that a lot do given the fact that it appears that a lot of publishing companies don't try and outdo one another in making simplistic cover designs.

Do you prefer simple or eye-catching designs on the front of book covers?

To what extent does an eye-catching book design influence you into buying a given book?

What book has the best eye-catching design? Which one the worst?

In 1999 I purchased Ghostwritten, by David Mitchell primarily based on the cover (and suiting title). That is one purchase I will never regret.

I haven't purchased a book solely on a cover design but I have made sure to get a certain printing over another because of a good cover. The Anna Karenina trade paperback published by Penguin is very nice. Actually the Penguin classics have been pretty nice lately. I particularly like the chop-cut, my term dunno if it's accurate, pages. I'm more concerned with the print and how easy the book is to hold in my hands than the cover.

I confess...I'm pretty shallow when it comes to books. I usually pick up books based on their covers and *cringes* sometimes even if the book sounds good, and the cover is really really dull and off-putting...I can't bring my self to read it. AHHH. I hate the shallowness!

However...I was proud when I read James Patterson, 4th of July, because the front was HORRIBLE, yet i still read it.

So im getting there

Lani

I bought a couple of books by Richard Beard last week purely because of the cover designs - or more accurately, I suppose, I picked them up purely because of the cover designs and then read about them and thought they were the sort of thing I might like. I would never even have looked at them otherwise.

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0099477556.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0099477548.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0099459256.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

From my limited knowledge (really from Amazon v Amazon), it seems to me that US publishers really haven't got to grips with beautiful cover design, particularly for paperbacks, the way UK publishers have. Of course it's more than possible that I just prefer the UK versions because I'm used to them... Here are a few comparisons.

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0099748614.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
london_fields.jpg

awww.chiark.greenend.org.uk__janetmck_bookaweek_books_pics_100years.jpg
hundred.jpg

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0141184841.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg View attachment aimages.amazon.com_images_P_0811200124.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

I'm drawn to what I consider to be attractive book covers. I've found some good books as a result. For example, a couple of years ago I picked up The Other Side Of The Dale by Gervace Phinn because the cover looked nice, and I thought the book was excellent.

I wouldn't let a bad cover put me off, but if I was to have to chose one, I'd probably go for the one with the prettiest cover! :rolleyes:

I love the feel of the front cover of a brand new book!

Cover designs are a significant influence for me in choosing a graphic novel. I very very nearly bought the second volume of Preacher because of the cover art.

Book cover designs do (almost) nothing to me, because I seldom buy a book on a whim - it's usually a book by an author I'm familiar with or have heard good things about (from here, mainly). But if I have a choice of covers for the same book, then yeah, I pick the nicest one (but is shouldn't be too much more expensive than the other one).

ds

I notice the cover, but I don't know if it's ever been a factor when I purchased a book. I usually base my decision on the description written inside the dust cover or on recommendations from others.

I think that covers can't help but have an influence on you. There is a lost of psychology that goes into the designs. Book are marketed at certain people and that dictates the kind of cover artwork that gets chosen for them.

I'm often drawn to a book by a cover that I like. It draws me to it, but it wouldn't make me buy.

If you see a wabbit jumping up and down in a book cover that's supposed to be static, wouldn't you buy it too?

(don't forget the fish and chips - I miss those).

ds

Yes, I would. I would also cut back on the hallucinogenic drugs!

I think the fish and chips might be a bit cold by the time it reaches you! Not to mention off... :D

Normally when browsing in a shop, I'll buy a book by an author I know, or one I've read good reviews of and have in my internal 'to be bought' list. If I end up taking a leap into the dark with my choice, it will be from a selection of works whose description has made me think that I may like it. However, the books I'll make my selection from will probably be ones that have caught my eye visually, in which case it will probably have a good cover, and perhaps more importantly, a design on the spine that makes it stand out.

It's also worth noting that cover designs, at least in Britain, can give you a good idea of what kind of book it is. 'Chick-Lit'* books for example have a very destintive look to them.

*Don't complain, I'm just using the phrase not inventing it.

I think of the cover the same as I do a movie preview; you've probably seen the best part. Best to take a good look inside before you decide.

Back