• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you let an author's personal views affect your reading choices?

Picked up a book at the newsstand last week while getting newspapers. It caught my eye because the cover says it is a story about a weapon called an electromagnetic pulse. I have a little familiarity with EMP, so I decided to pick it up without even looking inside. The name of the book is One Second After by Willian R. Forstchen, an author I have never heard of before, so I'm not aware of his political leanings.

Well, guess who the foreward is by? None other than Newt Gingrich. And of course he mentions we're all gonna die and we have to take this threat seriously. Based on Newt's forward alone, I decided not to read the book.

An aside - A person I knew that served in the US navy was part of an EMP test. His ship was hit by an EMP, and all of the crew on board had entries made in their service record and were told they would have follow physical exams to see if there were any deleterious effects later. He said he never had any exams for it, and he was a career sailor. Also interesting to note, none of the ships electronics were effected by the EMP.

I won't let it affect my decision to read the book. However, there are going to be some people who use their money and celebrity for causes that I find morally repugnant (aka anti-gay marriage people) I would not buy those books first hand because I don't want to put money in the author's pocket.

Back