• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you make yourself finish a bad book?

shari

I feel like life's short and there's too much to read. I just can't drag myself through a terrible book. I look forward to the new one and its potential...but my mom makes herself finish it.. not me I'm not a masochist just a reader.

You're right, too many good books out there to worry about struggling to finish one you're not enjoying.
I used to finish everything in the hope that it would get better, inevitably it didn't, so now i just move on.
Luckily i haven't hit a bad one for a while. :)

Cabrasopa :cool:

I usually try to read books through the end. I've had a few books with weak beginings that had great endings. I've only stopped reading a book intentionally a couple times. I do, sometimes, lose books though. If my interest isn't captured I might lose the book and never find it.

i can't....i try, but i can't...if a book doesn't grab me within the first few chapters, than i generally don't read it...

I always used to finish books I disliked - I took it as a kind of personal failure if I gave up. Also, the book just might have improved if I'd persevered!

The rot started with Wuthering Heights - I hated this book and gave up fairly quickly. Since then, I also gave up on Anne of Green Gables. I was very tempted to give up on Koontz's The Taking, but finished it because I usually like his books and thought it would improve (it didn't). So I have only failed to finish two books.

Now, with over 70 unread books on my shelf, I have realised that life is too short to plod through a book you dislike when you could be reading something more interesting, so I will happily give up on a book.

There are so many books out there that are interesting, why waste my time dragging myself through a bad book .

shari said:
I feel like life's short and there's too much to read. I just can't drag myself through a terrible book. I look forward to the new one and its potential...but my mom makes herself finish it.. not me I'm not a masochist just a reader.

I finish a bad book, b/c even toward the end, even the last few pages, I like to hope it will turn out good...

I'd feel absolutely torn if I didn't finish I book I've started. Even if it were a horrific piece of garbage someone published as a sick joke, I'd always think I missed out on the good part. I've been fooled many a time....'classics' especially seem to catch my eye, and then I want to gag myself for picking them up. *Cough, cough*....Jane Austen....*cough, cough*
'Scuse me. :D

Mari said:
I was forced to finish enough bad books in school. No more!

Darn right, and that's pretty much the only reason to force yourself to finish a bad book. If you just can't get into the book don't force it, it will only further ruin the experience anyways.

I don't usually quit reading a book, but I do have kind of a rule with myself. If I get passed a certain amount of the book I will finish, but if I've just started and I'm barely on the first few chapters and nothing at all is grabbing my attention then I will just put the poor book out of it's misery.

Once I don't enjoy a book,I give it a few more pages, then give up, :( Sometimes I keep it awhile, and have another go, but don't think I have ever changed my mind about one yet...
+ My TBR Pile is a mile high :eek: so no point really in wasting the time, perhaps I would struggle on if I had nothing else to read though.

It depends on whether I borrowed it, bought it or it was recommended.
  1. If I borrowed it from the library, I will usually give up on it if it just doesn't interest me. Too little time and too many books for reading crap or things I'm just not in the mood for.
  2. If I actually forked out money for a book, I will valiently try to persevere. However, if it really doesn't 'do it' for me, I'll grudgingly return it to my shelf partially read.
  3. If a book is a recommendation from a friend I will persevere and ask them if it improves. If I've supposedly already gotten to 'the good bit' I will generally give up.

i finish it. i have to, i don't know why. i have this thing about not finishing books or movies.

sometimes i make myself finish it, and sometimes i put it aside and try another time agian... either way i mostly finish it...

not always but most of the time i try to finish them, since i have a couple of experiences of crappy books, in which once you read the ending, all makes sense.

i remember this book they made read on high school "ciudades desiertas" (deserted cities, have no idea if this one is out on english) by jose agustin, which was totally boring and unapealling, but in the moment you read the very last line, you realize what the book was really about and everything makes sense and you realize that is a great story.

Yeah, i have to finish it. unless its painfully bad. And then i can write it on the list of the books i have read.
Cos usually i wait till after 100 pages to see if im going to continue if im not happy, and by that time, i think 'iv wasted this much time, might as well waste more and have something on my list to show for it'

oh well

lately i havent stuck by that, but majority of the time i do

lani

No. I don't think there is any pride in finishing a book that is rubbish. In fact I'd be ashamed of myself for having such time to waste! :mad:

Back