• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you seek out or pay attention to book news?

novella

Do you pay attention to book news?

I mean, do you make a point of seeking out book reviews every day? Every week? I read certain review columns every day, and subscribe to a few mags mostly for their book news and excerpts, like The New Yorker, Observer, read the Guardian reviews online.

Do you read publishing news, like what’s coming out by authors you like, what’s hot in new writing, what book has a movie deal?

Do you read publishing gossip, about editors, writers, publications, who’s leaving where and going to what magazine or company? I follow media news through stuff like the NY Observers, which has a lot of space for print media gossip.

Do you read interviews with authors? I love interviews with authors, especially those who are honest about the challenges of everyday work and professional obligations. I really don’t like those who romanticize or glamorize the process unrealistically.

I really don’t like literary journals, like Ploughshares and the New York Review of Books. They’re full of eggheads who review a lot of nonfiction and politics and like to expound. Way too political for my enjoyment.

The kids should stay out of my gingerbread house

I don't follow books news such as reviews, magazines or television shows because they usually don't bring up books that are of interest to me. It's usually social realistic novels that want to opinionate or detective stories.

There's probably something out there for me, I just haven't found it yet.

I don't really pay attention to book news in general, but if I know that a book I really want is coming out soon, I will seek out the date it comes out. I don't bother with reviews, because even if I read reviews, I wouldn't pay attention to them because only I know what I like.

i'm not much of a follower, either. i try to go at least once in two weeks to a bookstore and look around. when there is something interesting i buy it... once in a while i look into the reviews for books, but i don't give much about what they say, i like to read it and then build my own opinion.

I actively seek out new books (and I plan on adding your sources to my own existing ones, novella.)

"I read certain review columns every day, and subscribe to a few mags mostly for their book news and excerpts, like The New Yorker, Observer, read the Guardian reviews online"

Today I added the new Nevada Barr and the new Anne Lamott to my security blanket of "on-the-shelf-and-ready-to-be- chosen-from-next-according-to-my-mood" books. I get nervous if I don't have a nice selection handy. I use reviews to add new authors to my already favorites. I can't wait to get the opportunity to read what you've written, novella.)

I have "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and "The Egyptologist" waiting, so I'm feeling pretty secure for the nonce.

Does anybody else around here get sorta panicky when they think they're getting low on new books?

:eek:

No I dont follow books news. I read the weekly review that appears in my local newspaper and if some book interests me, I make a note of it. Mostly, I rely on word of mouth. I have friends who know about my tastes, they recommend some book which they think I might like and I read it. Thats about it.

I do tend to read book reviews in magazines and newspaper supplements. Anything that takes my interest I make a note of and check it out online or go to my nearest bookstore and browse the cover and read a few pages.
I also go by friends and workmates recommendations and not forgetting book forums.

I belong to a coupld of "Booklovers" clubs attached to my two favourite book shops. I read those and occasionally he who mostly reads newspapers (and pictorials at that) will say "Hey, don't you like Robert Crais". He knows my authors but fails to realise that generally, by the time the book review has hit his newspaper, I've owned the book for months, never mind having read it.

I don't purposefully seek out book news, but if I should read a periodical that contains book news, I will read it. Other than checking out the New York Times best seller lists, that's about it.

Don't really read any, I find enough books to read without actually having to look for them. Reading booksreviews might just make my TBR pile bigger and my bank even more angry with me.

I don't go out and buy magazines about books or anything, but I do look forward to those Top 100 lists that booksellers put out. I trawl through those lists to see what I've missed. Always adds a heap to my TBR list, but I like adding to it - makes me feel I've got a lot to look forward to!

I do purposely seek out book news -- from the industry side. I subscribe to Publishers Weekly and PW Marketplace and follow genre publishing through organizations such as Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers and Romance Writers of America. I think the industry as a whole is fascinating. The relationships between writers, publishers, distributors, booksellers and the public are so very interdependent. For example, if an automobile factory in Detroit goes under, and people lose their jobs, they don't buy books. The booksellers in that town scale back or close. The stock of the bookseller drops, the distributors shrink their orders and publishers everywhere buy fewer books from authors, at a lower rate to compensate. The process takes a year or two, but knowing that book sales are down in a particular genre, and up in another makes a difference for me -- as an author -- in deciding what to write next. I guess I'm a little strange in that I find the whole thing fascinating! :eek:

when i worked at the bookstore i read the globe and mail reader and national post on saturdays to do a weekly display and got hooked on the globe reader. but other than that i don't acitively search out book news.

I haven't in the past, but I am thinking of asking my mom for a subscription to a book mag for my birthday. She is always asking me what kind of stuff I want.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning toward Bookmarks, but I have also heard Pages is OK too. Bear in mind I'm in the US.

Back