• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you tend to be...

Hollis

...the kind of person who can only read one book at a time or do you usually have several books you're reading through at once?

I had a friend who kept a different book in each room and she'd just pick up whichever book was in whichever room she happened to be in. I've just never been able to do that! I think I get so deep in a story that reading more than one at once would disrupt it for me!

So I was just curious about the rest of you...

Not really. But there are occassions where a book will bore me and I'll pick up another and start that one or if I'm in the middle of one and someone hands me a book I've always wanted to read, I'll read that as welll. Usually I'm a "One Book At A Time" person.

I can read two books at a time if one is a personal pick and one is an assigned book for school. But if I try and read two books that I pick out I will start to get the characters or plot mixed up.

I always have three books going at one time: a "classic", a non-fiction of some sort, and then another one that is just "for fun". not that I don't enjoy the others; the "for fun" is just a quick, easy read, such as something by Tom Clancy or John Grisham.

HOLLIS SAYS :I think I get so deep in a story that reading more than one at once would disrupt it for me!

Same for me. i have a really bad memory so i can only read one book at a time or i forget everything!

Almost always one at a time. I hardly get into any emergency cases when I have to read many books at once--although it happens sometimes when I have various reading assignments from several classes. :)

Beside any school books or work related books... I tend to read a book the whole way through, bringing it with me everywhere I go.

I'll read between 1 to 4 books at a time. Often that's because there's a book I'm reading at home (which stays there because), and one in my bag for on the train, and then I'll forget to take that to the library at lunch and so will start reading something else because they have discaraded their copies/don't have the other two books I'm reading.
Or if I'm reading something and it's "deep and meaningful", I might read something lighter. Or if I get bored, I'll put down, read something else and come back to it.
But once I get into the main part of a story, I generally finish that book before I continue with another.
I have a really good memory for books. It helps...

always multiple books.
I am formally reading 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell' I have a couple of knitting books I am also reading, as well as a few other odds and ends books.
I also keep a book in the van, which I am part way through for the 4th time.
( car reading is something you can pick up and put down without getting too involved emotionally, IMHO)
of course there is also bathroom reading but you didn't hear that from me.
vi

95% of the time its just the one book. Have tried 2 but always ended up sticking to the one more and reading until its finished so it defeats the point of reading more than one.

I used to do that all the time, but I end up losing books that way, forgetting them somewhere and not realizing they are missing until I find them months later and can't remember what the story was. I adult onset ADHD and it has been getting progressivly worse for the last decade or so. Reading was the one thing I could concentrate on, but the past few years even that has been under attack. It takes a lot of concentration for me to finish books these days, so I try to stop myself from reading more than one. A new book is like a reward for finishing the old one!

Interesting and timely question for me. Recently, within the last couple of weeks, I tried to read more than one book at a time. I cannot do it! I wish I could, but I'm just way too much of a perfectionist. I have to finish one thing before I start another.

More than one at a time. Unless I read it really fast. But since I like to take my time reading them, I juggle a few books simultaneously. I'm a compulsive reader. :p

Depends how much free time I have, but usually one novel, one short story collection that I dip in and out of, and a non-fic, again to pick up and put down. Also depends on how my concentration and/or attention span is at that particular moment, sometimes it's not great :(

Now is one of those times, so I'm just concentrating on one at a time until it comes back again.

Back