• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does size matter?

I've read and very much enjoyed some long novels in the past and never been deterred, but nowadays there are so many shorter works I am eager to get to that somehowthe longer ones languish. Times change, people change, tastes change.

It's six to a half dozen of the other to me, if the story warrants the length, great. It's when what should be a novella or short story is elongated into an epic that I become annoyed.

for me its about content if its continuous fresh content then i dont mind how long the book is however if its just going over the same thing over and over as a filler then it will annoy me

Am reading a biography of Charles Dickens (paper book format) and the size of it daunts me. About 500 pages plus notes and comments and tiny print. It's for a book group read so I feel honour bound to read it but at the moment it's languishing on the TBR table - maybe read it the times my Kindle is charging! :rolleyes:

I have only really realised after reading this thread that I don't actually pay any attention to how long books are when I decide whether I enjoy them or want to read them; short books can be just as boring. Because I like reading SFF, a majority of books that I read are probably 500+ pages, and that's fine with me as long as they captivate me the whole way.

It is not necessary that good books are large in size and bad books are in small size.... Every book would be good for reading. Its depends all up to you that which kind of books you like...? And maybe that books you like and i don't like.... its depends on mood, behavior, environment etc.

Older books are long too. The unabridged Les Miserables is over 1100 pages,
War and Peace is over 1400 pages. Great Expectations 400.

Remember that page count and book thickness do not determine length. Font sizes can make a short book seem long at first glance. 80,000 words is an average size novel.

I usually don't care about the size as long as the novel is good enough. I still find books that should have been expanded some pages, and other books that are too long and have a lot of straw filling.

Many times, size problems come from planning problems. The author takes less or more time to tell something than needed. It only turns into a problem when it affects the rhythm on the narration -thus bringing long periods of boredom, or action that develops too quickly to be enjoyed.

A good novel should weigh in at around 850 pages.
Martin has it right with his Game of Thrones.

(now ducking and diving waiting for the missiles)

A good novel should weigh in at around 850 pages.
Martin has it right with his Game of Thrones.

(now ducking and diving waiting for the missiles)

Why missiles? This thread sounds like everyone is quite tolerant of long good novels? I prefer them -- have even read the Bible -- so I don't see the problem.

I would much prefer to read a novel consisting of 500+ pages then say one that's only 200 pages, but have to agree with others who have said it needs to be relevant to the story - no filler etc!

I think the average paperback I read is probably between 300 and 450 pages long which in my opinion is just about the right length - not too short but not too long that I get bored with it. Although I love reading the odd longer book I have to admit that if I have multiple books waiting to be read consisting of mostly average sized paperbacks and one or two longer ones, then I'm probably more likely to pick the average sized ones first.

Why missiles?

Because despite the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the clique get testy if a new comer dives in and tries to inject some life into the threads. I had 23 responses to my threads today.
A bit of debate soon livens up a long running forum that needs a blood transfusion.
This is my personal opinion.

Because despite the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the clique get testy if a new comer dives in and tries to inject some life into the threads. I had 23 responses to my threads today.
A bit of debate soon livens up a long running forum that needs a blood transfusion.
This is my personal opinion.
Participating in threads and joining in the conversation is one thing, but it's the fact that some of your comments are bordering on being very insulting and offensive that's the problem, but that's just my opinion.

Participating in threads and joining in the conversation is one thing, but it's the fact that some of your comments are bordering on being very insulting and offensive that's the problem, but that's just my opinion.

Insulting and offending in what way?

I can enjoy any size of book so long as the story is compelling and well-written. Some long books actually seem to end too soon :), whereas some drag on. It all depends upon the writing.

Back