• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dolly Parton: I Am a Rainbow

Dolly Parton writing for children - now there's a strange concept ....

Why would that be so strange? She's written many ballads that tell of her childhood in the Smokey Mountains; I don't see how her writing stories for kids is such a far stretch at all.

My thoughts exactly, abc. I just wish more great songwriters would take a stab at writing fiction; obviously not everyone who can pen a great 3-minute song can put together a novel, but storytelling is storytelling.

I'm thinking of songwriters who specialize in ballads. They seem to have more to say..Tom T. Hall comes to mind right away. I've heard too many of the back stories for his songs to doubt the guy could crank out some great short stories if he chose to do so. Jimmy Buffett and Charley Daniels are two more examples of songwriters/perfomers who've written fiction; I'm sure there's more out there..

I'm not sure if ballad writers necessarily have more to say, but their stories are probably easier to translate into straight fiction. Steve Earle wrote a collection of short stories which was pretty good. And Willy Vlautin of the band Richmond Fontaine, who's written at least one amazing novel (I have his second novel in my TBR pile). Nick Cave's second novel is coming out soon, too. And I've always felt that people like Springsteen, Lucinda Williams or Tom Waits should have been able to put together a decent novel if they put their mind to it.

Judging by the stories I've heard about how some songwriters work, it seems they have the same knack other writers have developed.. the ability to nose out a good story or phrase to take home and flesh out into something useful.

I'm not sure if ballad writers necessarily have more to say, but their stories are probably easier to translate into straight fiction. Steve Earle wrote a collection of short stories which was pretty good. And Willy Vlautin of the band Richmond Fontaine, who's written at least one amazing novel (I have his second novel in my TBR pile). Nick Cave's second novel is coming out soon, too. And I've always felt that people like Springsteen, Lucinda Williams or Tom Waits should have been able to put together a decent novel if they put their mind to it.

That reminds me that Ryan Adams has a novel out: Infinity Blues.

Don't forget Nick Cave

Fair points made by all - i think i will give Dolly's book a go. On the subject of songwriters cum authors, don't forget the marvellous Nick Cave , And the Ass Saw The Angel

Back