• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Don't vocalize words in mind as read?

Ich kämpfe, how do you get poetic rhythm if you don't vocalize the words in your mind? Your little skill almost makes it seem like you learned how to read before you learned how to speak... :confused:

I learned how to speed read in school; I took a class. As one of the exercises, the teacher would flash a word on a screen very fast, and the only way you could assimilate the word was to remember it as a sort of picture. It was far faster than you could ever actually read something, and you definitely did not say the words in your head. From that we moved on to two words at a time, then five, and so on. It actually does work and I can still do it, but it's mentally exhausting. I use it a lot at work, where I have technical things to read, but not for pleasure reading, because it pretty much takes the pleasure out of it.

I suppose you could use this technique to read something like "War and Peace", but I don't believe that it would be very enjoyable. It sounds as though you read quite fast as it is, and maybe it's best to stay with that. If you're determined to learn this it's not hard to find a class, and you can pick it up fairly quickly; it's a technique like any other, not much different from typing when all's said and done (and about as exciting, in my opinion).

I read slowly I guess and definately vocalise the words in my mind, the words that I just recognise as they appear are those wierd sci fi names. I either just recognise them as a glyph or make an easy sound to associate with the word.

I find that I have such a busy life that my mind will jump from one thing to another, so I tend to read in very short sittings, sometimes 2-3 pages at a time. Not the best way to read I know.

Reading faster for me would be a real benifit

Poetry is a special case. It is designed to be read out loud, so even vocalization in one's head isn't enough. I read poetry out loud. That's why I don't bring poetry when I need something to read on a bus.

My husband and I read to each other a lot. It can highlight artfulness in the writer's style that gets glossed over in our heads. It can also point out problems with the writing that the mind compensates for without our knowing it; so writing that is read out loud has to be of the highest standards.

1. Oh, so people read those things?

2. Yes, I know it's in my profile, but I needed to re-introduce the fact to set up the new information that followed.

3. I hereby edit my earlier post accordingly. Take the second paragraph as beginning with: "As some of you may know from my recent bestseller, Mari's Public Profile,..."

I read to myself exactly as I would read outloud. I can't imagine how to to it any other way. Probably why I read so slow. Also xplains why I have trouble with some of the screen names. I want to pronounce them to myself when I see them. Abecedarian is a great example, as is cabrasopa and zolipara....

I can understand how difficult it might be to explain how to read without "vocalizing" to yourself, but if anybody could try, I would love to know what this means.

It's possible to read without vocalising, but that has nothing to do with speed reading. Sorry, Moto, I can't explain how it's done, but I do it. Sometimes I don't even know how to pronounce words or names, so vocalising in my head would be impossible. :D

I use speed reading for reports, green and white papers and that sort of boring stuff, but I would never think of use speed reading for books. It's for pleasure, not to get in the Guiness as record reader. I could only understand speed reading if a book was badly written and someone just wanted to see what happens at the end, but I would rather drop the book if that was the case.

"The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program: Remember Everything you read! Double your reading speed improve your comprehension and recall sharpen your concentration meet deadlines with ease "

Anybody ever read the Evelyn Wood stuff?

Back