• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Drabble?

Gita V.Reddy

Drabble, I have recently learnt, is a work of fiction, not exceeding 100 words, title excluded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drabble

Shall we dabble in Drabble?

I am making a start, and hope more of us join the fun.

LIFE
“I am going away,” she said, and left.

“Why?” everyone asked him. “Happens, it’s life,” he answered.

He tried in the usual way to forget, to ignore the void. He shut out everything that reminded him of her. He played. He worked. He lost himself in crowds. He searched for himself in solitude.

He met another and told himself it was alright, he had to move on, didn’t he? It wasn’t he who had walked out. A fresh fragile start, forced, forged out of human need.

She came back. Tired, needy, hurt. “Why?” she asked, anguished.

“Life,” he answered, sadly.

The Frogs:

The mist wafted through the reeds where the frogs hid from the watchful eyes of the water birds as they patrolled the riverbanks, ever on the lookout for the unwary to show themselves. As the mist settles on everything, turning every bramble into a crystal palace, the frogs gather at the edge of the reeds chirping to themselves and each other. Mustering the courage to face the dangers beyond. First one then two, they slip into the water with small plops, hoping to go unnoticed as the water birds shriek with delight as their prey shows itself at last.

very good you two!

The first by Gita was rather somber, which I like a lot. And who says every story has a happy ending anyways? Art imitating life!

And the second by Sparhawk was alarmingly comical as a play on 'survival of the fittest.' Again, art imitating life!

I enjoyed both about the same, and that's amazing seeing they take two very different approaches at telling a story. Thanks for sharing!

very good you two!

The first by Gita was rather somber, which I like a lot. And who says every story has a happy ending anyways? Art imitating life!

And the second by Sparhawk was alarmingly comical as a play on 'survival of the fittest.' Again, art imitating life!

I enjoyed both about the same, and that's amazing seeing they take two very different approaches at telling a story. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. Please join in the fun, with a drabble in verse, maybe?

Here's another; it's about Sparhawk's waterbirds in froggy heaven.

The Best of Intentions

Janice winced, hearing Tom and his friends, back after a morning of sport, boasting.

The water birds wouldn’t have had a chance, she knew. She had accompanied Tom once, and had waited around the small natural pond, waited for the mist to lift, because that was when the birds begun their hunt. , and were as easy shot.

Tom’s meaningless games would soon end, Janice thought with satisfaction, with the swimming pool coming up in place of the pond. She would retain the trees, for the birds.

But the birds flew away, leaving empty nests, and silence, and Janice confused.

This topic reminds me of Hemingway's six word story .... For sale; baby shoes, never worn.

The Charge

The mists of a cold October morning rise revealing two lines of knights facing each other on a flat plain; the gaily colored device of their attire mocks the seriousness of the moment. Fathers and mothers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters hold their breath. Then, on a signal, the combatants charge headlong toward each other and meet in the center of the field. The resounding clash of armor can be heard on the hillsides. Violence! Chaos! Then all is still. A booming voice is heard, as from the Heavens - "First and ten from the thirty yard line."

This topic reminds me of Hemingway's six word story .... For sale; baby shoes, never worn.

The Charge

The mists of a cold October morning rise revealing two lines of knights facing each other on a flat plain; the gaily colored device of their attire mocks the seriousness of the moment. Fathers and mothers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters hold their breath. Then, on a signal, the combatants charge headlong toward each other and meet in the center of the field. The resounding clash of armor can be heard on the hillsides. Violence! Chaos! Then all is still. A booming voice is heard, as from the Heavens - "First and ten from the thirty yard line."

This is very good :) its about Football right?

The Charge

Aah sport as organised and perhaps not so sanitised war. Perhaps this need for blood letting is one of the things that need to / will change as we progress towards peace.

This is very good :) its about Football right?

Sparhawk,
Yes, it is about football. I don't know where you are from but if you are from the United States I think you could relate. It occurred to me after I posted it that people unfamiliar with American "football" might not understand the final sentence.

Meadow,
I agree. I think sports are simply another form of controlled warfare which satisfy some atavistic psychological desire to compete. I concur with those who think world leaders should be made to fight it out themselves to settle disputes in a gladiatorial arena. That would be a sight I'd pay to see. *LOL*

Sparhawk,
Yes, it is about football. I don't know where you are from but if you are from the United States I think you could relate. It occurred to me after I posted it that people unfamiliar with American "football" might not understand the final sentence.

Well am not from the US but as I have watched my fair share of Football movies as well as having a similar sport here (Rugby) I could make an educated guess lol :)

Meadow,
I agree. I think sports are simply another form of controlled warfare which satisfy some atavistic psychological desire to compete. I concur with those who think world leaders should be made to fight it out themselves to settle disputes in a gladiatorial arena. That would be a sight I'd pay to see. *LOL*

This may also cut back on wars as presidents and such might pause a little more before declaring war on whoever if they are the ones that would have to fight them :)

Acceptance

Would there be enough time to get the dayroom his wife had always wanted built by summer’s end? He counted on his fingers: June, July, August yes, it could certainly be built before her birthday in September.

I like Doctor Barnes, Halbert concluded. He’s a straight shooter but he is also a poet. "Won’t be here for the holiday season." he had said. Halbert decided he liked that way of putting it; far more poetic than, You got eight months.

Halbert decided to have loads of cream cheese on his bagel. He didn’t think Doctor Barnes would disapprove this time.

Back