• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Drivers Training

The problem is a car is a 2000+ pound guided missle. It's a deadly devise. The few that are mature enough to handle the responcibility at 16 are far and away the minority. Experience is not so much the issue. It's overall maturity and the ability to understand the consequences of your actions. Statistics are proving out that most 16 year olds these days are not mature enough to handle the responcibility. Putting a 16 year old in a brand new "M" class BMW shows the parents lack common sence too, but changing the driving age will, in the long run, be a life saving change for many, many teenagers. It's really the best thing for all.

I just remembered a news story I saw a few weeks ago. Human interest piece, really, but on a news program. ANyway, a teen boy got his drivers license and his folks bought him a vehicle, not a sports car, something sensible. The day he got it, he got a ticket for a moving violation (I don't remember the offense exactly). His folks took away the vehicle for a period of time as a punishment. When he was allowed to drive again, ther was a sticker on the back windshield that said
"How's my driving? Call my mom confidentially at: ###-###-### "
He didn't like it, but his parents stance was, hey, you don't have to drive. So far, his mom has several calls about her son's careful driving, but no negative calls. :cool:

Back home it's also 18. There are the three tests used in the UK plus an eye test and a psychometric test that measures things like reaction times. These last tests have to be taken again people renew their licence. Very young drivers can be dangerous but very old ones are not better and these extra tests means they lose their licence when they become a danger for others.

New drivers have to display an L on the vehicle for a year, they have a speed limit lower than the speed limit on the road. Before, they were not allowed to drive on Sundays (beats me why. You would think Sundays was the safest day), but now young drivers (I am not sure up to what age) cannot drive during the night at weekends, to avoid drink driving.

K-Dawn said:
I think if you pass the tests you should get a permit, no matter what your age. Responsibility doesn't come at a certain age. Some teens are more responsible than others. I know some people aren't responsible even when they're 30 years old. But others are responsible enough to drive at 15..

You are right that some young teens are more mature than others. That doesn't necessarily mean they are mature enough to drive a "2000 pound missile" (good comparison moto). Lisencing laws and tests are generally too easy. My mom wouldn't let me drive her car when I had my permit (or even after I got my lisence). When I got my lisence I had less than 20 hours of driving experience, but I still passed the test without a problem. That was before the graduated lisences, so I was able to drive as a full driver. It was scary. I was almost 17 1/2 when I finally got it (was too lazy before) and I still don't think I was mature enough.

The majority of the serious accidents I see are caused by three kinds of people: drunks, teenagers and drunk teenagers. I've also seen teenagers drinking while driving, driving around throwing fireworks out of cars, driving like maniacs in 6 inches of snow, passing notes or balls between cars on the highway and trying to run over birds in parking lots.

cajunmama said:
"How's my driving? Call my mom confidentially at: ###-###-### "
Hey this is hilarious! :)

It's 16yo for written tests, and 17 yo for a full license over here. But you're not allowed to use a cellphone while driving, however old you are. The only way you can use it is via a hands-free kit.

But whatever you do, DON'T SPEED!!!

jenn, I'm guilty as charged. :eek: I know next to nothing about car maintenance, and I think it is a good idea to introduce it. I know how to change a flat tyre (and can do it in under 10 minutes), and I know I'm supposed to stop when the temperature is high or the oil indicator lights are up. And to send the thing for maintenance every 5000km. Over and above that, I'll have to make phone calls. :D

ds

In Illinois, you sign up for drivers ed when you're 15 1/2. You take an introductory test covering the info in the little book they give you, if you pass you get your white slip. Then you takee a semester of the class, do like so many hours of driving in class with your teacher, you take your test and the teacher and principle will sign and give you your blue slip saying you successfully passed the class. Throughout the class, you also have to have 50 hours of outside driving time with your parents/guardians, anyone over the age of 21. When your 16th birthday comes, you go and if you're lucky you just have to take your signed blue slip and signed 50 hours sheet from your parents and some sort of ID, and take your picture and they'll hand you your license. However, there are "spot days" where you will have to take the test, but those can be avoided, because they were posted in our classroom. There are no restrictions other than a curfew of midnight, but no one really enforces it in our town. I heard something about no cell phones while driving for anyone under 18 recently, but I dont know if the governor did pass it or not. I'm not sure. I'm going to turn 20 on Tuesday so I've had my drivers license for almost 4 years...it's really quite a scary thought. I've had two wrecks, no tickets, and a warning. Personally, I see nothing wrong with 16 year old drivers. Everyone is capable of having a wreck, everyone is capable of being a bad/scary driver, and I still resent how people feel about kids behind the wheel ... weren't they that age with a license at one time?! YES. And did they feel they didn't need to be on the road .... NO! I'd take the class if I was you ... you won't get another chance until you're 18 and you'd probably regret it.

Back