• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dubbing v Subbing

dario argento shot all of his films that way. he'd have the actors, who were all from different countries, all speaking their lines in different languages. afterwards, in post-production, he'd have english voice actors dub in all the lines. other giallo directors, like lucio fulci, joe d'amato, ruggero deodato, and umberto lenzi, and some others that I don't remember, quickly adopted the same method because it was fast and efficient (and cheap, because some of the cameras they used weren't compatible with audio equipment).

And other did it badly on purpose to create a particular effect, i.e. Fellini.
Kubrick did it in 2001 and lots of directors still use it, not for the whole film but for outside takes (to eliminate noises) or because they don't like the way actors said their lines the first time.
And then there was that Tarzan one where Glen Close dubbed Andy McDowell because of her accent.

I'm used to dubbing. Nearly everything is dubbed here, except maybe for some programmes on MTV, but "Pimp my ride" isn't exactly what I want to watch on TV. Some very small channels don't do it, too, because they don't have the money.. but most of the times they show old programmes anyway, which have been dubbed.
I prefer to watch with subtitles but I only get Danish and Dutch TV sometimes. Not that much use, because I usually concentrate more on the subtitles than on the language and my understanding of Danish/Dutch is rather limited. But ORF (Austria) shows some series (Desparate Housewives, ..) with different sound options, which is great! The only other way to watch a movie in its original language is pay TV or DVD's.

clueless said:
And other did it badly on purpose to create a particular effect, i.e. Fellini.
Thats the example I was trying to think of, cheers.

clueless said:
And then there was that Tarzan one where Glen Close dubbed Andy McDowell because of her accent.
Yes, that's a famous example for a different reason. If only you could take an idea like that and superimpose it on her entire career.

Regards.

I prefer subtitles but sometimes you get surreal situations. Years ago I remember going to the cinema while I was on holidays and lots of people could not read at all or not fast enough. If it was an action film they managed, although they still laughed or screamed at the wrong time. When the film was dialogue-heavy, they left in the middle of it because they could not follow it.

im biast to subtitles when i watch tv or my dvds, is great because you never miss what is being said and i also love watching movies with the subtitles on so i can listen to the commontary. some of my favorite movies just happen to have really funny and interesting commontaries, so its cool.

an as far as watching movies from other countrys, i prefer subtitles, i think you lose a little bit of the actors preformances when there dubbed.

and BTW iron chefs dubbing is awesome. i dont mind it one bit

Kenny Shovel said:
I’m not a fan of dubbing but for some people subtitles are not an option. I think I'm correct in saying that pretty much all foreign films or TV is dubbed in Italy. I also seem to remember someone telling me that there was a period in Italian filmmaking when scenes were shot without sound and the actors dubbed there own voices on later in a studio. I’m not totally sure if that is correct though, perhaps we have a film-buff amongst us who can confirm?

Yes, for some of us who live in non english speaking countries, it isnt an option, just a necessary evil and nothing to be done. I prefer subtitles, because I like to see a film as the director intended it to be seen, same as I like a book stay as it was written, not edited to make it more palatable to another audience.
Still, I maintain that the Italians have got dubbing down to a fine art, nothing like I ever saw in the UK.
One good thing about dubbing though, as 'international' films have crossed over from the shades of 'art house' to the multiplexes, and the rental companies started producing some dubbed versions, it does mean that some wonderful films have been made available to a wider audience.
There are social factors too behind the advent of dubbing in Italy, for many many people, Italian is still their second language- their local dialect/language being number one..not everyone has the same level of literacy, and for some hearing a language is more comfortable than reading it.

I was going to post something here about Anime, but I hate it so much I decided not to press the issue any further.

Dubbing: one of modern man's evil inventions. I can't stand it and am horrified that it is still being done.

Subtitle: I've watched interviews that had subtitles for the person being interviewed because they had foreign accent. Are Americans that stupid? Guess so.

I can understand that some people may not like subtitles. I don't like them in Italian films because they are too distracting, and in German or Russian films I have a hard time keeping pace with the reading and acting. Otherwise I haven't any problems with subtitling.

raffaellabella said:
Subtitle: I've watched interviews that had subtitles for the person being interviewed because they had foreign accent. Are Americans that stupid? Guess so.
I think the Dutch sub our shows too, so you're not alone on that.

Back