• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dumbledore the bad guy

that quote's been bugging me for years - it just stood out so much so I kind of got to thinking Dumbledore is probably evil (not that I wouldn't still be surprised and distraught if I truned out to be right, lol); JK Rowling's writing is so focussed on conveying the plot (I mean, you know, she doesn't bother crafting extended poetic metahors for the sheer beauty of it or anything like that) that I can't imagine her writing something so ambiguous unless it was designed to hint at something. besides, unless you're writing purely in cliche's it's difficult to write something unintentionally. of course, it could just be a bad piece of wording I guess, but I like the friends/enemies idea someone suggested.

Robert said:
It would take a lot more then this to convince me that Dumbledore had a hidden agenda. When I read this, it suggested to me that Dumbledore saw something that Voldemort overlooked, perhaps a new weakness caused by using Harry's blood.
I think that may be it. It sounds a good enough theory for me. But the question is: what is the weakness? Maybe we'll find out in Half-Blood Prince.

h_carnahan said:
So does that apply to Voldermort watching Snape; Snape watching Voldermort; Voldermort watching Dumbledore; Dumbledore watching Voldermort; Snape watching Dumbledore or finally Dumbledore watching Snape?
Most likely the last one. Although, Dumbledore is keen on giving second chances, so I could be wrong.

Possibly Staged?

I don't think J.K. would have put the "glint of trumph in dubledore's eyes" bit in for no reason, Also, however unlikely it is possible that voldemort and dumbledore's duel at the end of TOOTP could have been elaborately staged.

Fistandantilus said:
I don't think J.K. would have put the "glint of trumph in dubledore's eyes" bit in for no reason, but then there is a roumour that dumbledore could be ron or harry from the future, (I dont know how reliable this is, but it is on the www.jkrowling.com website), this might have something to do with it.

ahem, JK Rowling shot that rumor down on her website.

Back