• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

E.M. Forster

Andy.McKinney

Hi folks!

I am new to this forum but I think I am really going to enjoy it. I recently read the Penguin Mini Modern Classic edition E.M. Forster's "The Machine Stops" which also has "The Celestial Omnibus" in it. I thought these stories were very perceptive and beautifully written. Did Forster write any more short stories and if so which ones do you recommend? I am also wondering which of his novels to read now. Who votes "Howard's End" and who votes "A Room With A View"? Tell me what you like about them. Are they love stories? Are they very "mushy"?

Andy.

I adored Forster when I was a teenager! Still do, but it's years since I read his books. "The Life to Come and other stories" is a great collection of short stories, some dealing with homosexuality so published after his death.
I love both Howard's End and A Room With a View, but for different reasons. Howard's End is more subdued, a bit darker, and contrasts different types of people - the literary, those concerned with business, the working class and upper middle class. Maybe it's because of the Italian part of A Room With a View that I associate that book with a sunnier feel. Both deal with romance between people that should not (according to society at the time) be together. You must read both of them!

I loved both Howard's End and Room with a View. Neither of them appeared mushy to me - I fully agree with what KJBlackwood wrote.

I've read:
Howards' End
A room with a view
Maurice
Passage to India
, and liked each and everyone of those books. A great Author!

Back