• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

E-readers, the future, or a fad?

The word from Borders is that the shutting down of stores will not interfere with support for the Kobo.

New here, jumping in :)

I have fought my husband on this for a long time. For me, a passionate reader, I like to hold the book, feel the book, even smell the book. I can hold one spot and flip back through it looking for something else. I can carry it with me without worrying about battery. HOWEVER, I like ereaders for many reasons. I don't have to find room on my shelf anymore, I can "carry" all my books with me at the same time, I can use it with one hand, and I can buy indie eBooks on it.

I'm not sure what will happen. I fear that bookstores will disappear. There is nothing like walking into a 2 story bookstore, taking a deep breath, and wandering around trying to find a book to get completely lost in.

I'm not sure what will happen. I fear that bookstores will disappear. There is nothing like walking into a 2 story bookstore, taking a deep breath, and wandering around trying to find a book to get completely lost in.
I agree with absolutely all you say, except that when I wander I find many many books to get lost in. And buy them all. /smiley/, I think.

I don't think the traditional bookstore is going to become extinct in our lifetimes.

I used to get 'lost' in our local Borders. The books were sorted in most peculiar way, I had to often seek help from the employees. It was two stories, with stairs, elevators, and a small coffee shop. Unfortunately it closed few years ago. :(

I don't think I will ever get into e-readers. I have no shelf space left - but like the feel of a book. What happens if the electronic gadget breaks, dies, doesn't work anymore? What happens to all the downloaded books? I would die if all was lost. I hope that your bookstore will survive as well as ALL bookstores.

what happens if your house burns down, floods, get hit by a tornado and such

see where I am going with this?

if right now I erased all my e-books from my Nookcolor they are still on the server (Barnes & Noble)

and I can re-download them anytime I want
or with my Sony they are on my hard drive and on my SD card

also I can re-download them any time I want from their site

both places keep a file of your downloaded books for future downloads
but if your house burns down you gotta buy new books with the insurance money, if there is any at all...

plus the e-reader is much lighter than your dead tree and I can cary many books with me in a small format lets see you cary 10,15, or 25 books at the same time in your truck or at the doctors office

plus e-readers are more eco friendly as they don't kill as many trees to make books available for you to read

Cheaper

While e-books aren't much cheaper per copy for the publisher to make, I think you will see a sharp decline in the price of e-books. The main reason being that tablets and e readers provide a medium for targeted streaming advertisements which I think you will see (optionally) in e-books within the year.

While e-books aren't much cheaper per copy for the publisher to make, I think you will see a sharp decline in the price of e-books. The main reason being that tablets and e readers provide a medium for targeted streaming advertisements which I think you will see (optionally) in e-books within the year.

Explain yourself.

Oh, he's perfectly correct. The only cost the publisher can cut for an e-book is paper and shipping, and that's a fairly small share of the price of a book. All the other costs still have to be carried by the e-book as well.

I think kindle along side with other reading devices is definitely the future. But that does not mean that our dead tree old kind of books are going any where, not any time soon though. And no matter what, there will always be people who will prefer the good old paper back over the kindle type of book.

Back