• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

E-readers, the future, or a fad?

Paulw32

I own a bookstore in Australia, and I'm interested to hear from people who use e-readers about what they think.
Do you like e-readers more than regular books?
What kind of books do you mostly read on your e-reader, and are there books or types of books that you just have to own a real copy of?

One thought here has been hard-copy for permanent non-fiction, e-reader for fiction. But hard-copy for very favorites sounds very good too. Thanks.
To my eye, the very narrow shelf space for keeping so many books stands out above any other advantages mentioned, and that seems to me like a permanent advantage.

I don't think I will ever get into e-readers. I have no shelf space left - but like the feel of a book. What happens if the electronic gadget breaks, dies, doesn't work anymore? What happens to all the downloaded books? I would die if all was lost. I hope that your bookstore will survive as well as ALL bookstores.

awww.theliberaloc.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_05_spock_fascinating.jpg

Any idea how much more profitable an eBook is for Amazon over the traditional dead tree version?

Already the wild thought of getting a second one comes up in conversation. A Kindle in addition to a Kobo. :eek:

/The man is a stark raving lunatic!/

Already the wild thought of getting a second one comes up in conversation. A Kindle in addition to a Kobo. :eek:

/The man is a stark raving lunatic!/

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't you feel like you wasted $99 if you started using the Kindle over the Kobo?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't you feel like you wasted $99 if you started using the Kindle over the Kobo?

Actually instant obsolescence wasn't the reason, so no. The thought occurred, not very seriously, when we found that not all books are e-books in both places -- Borders has some e-books different from Amazon, for example.

Also, there are two pairs of hands here -- and a certain amount of envy. :lol:
The e-readers really are nice, but the major competition is still from nice used copies in the Amazon marketplace.

I got me a kindle. It's really nice. I had thought it as some electronic gadgetry, but the screen is unlike screens of TV or other electronic devices. It's almost like reading on matte plastic of some sort. Not reflective, once gotten used to it, it's almost like reading on paper.

I am a fan of used books also. But with kindle, I get ton of free classic books.

I am a fan of used books also. But with kindle, I get ton of free classic books.

Exactly! I absolutely love mine. I don't know how many times I've read a book or an article, only to end up downloading a related book or document relevant to what the book/article mentioned. That is very convenient and nice.

The ereader certainly has a place in our library, a small one at present, but still a definite toehold. I saw an article in the NYT this morning that I found interesting, and wonder if it is becoming the rule or not.

E-Readers Catch Younger Eyes and Go in Backpacks

If it is, great and I applaud it as such. For me though, holding a book, in hand, still beats flicking a button.

And already, down at Best Buy, the floor space devoted to e-readers is being surpassed and engulfed by a larger space across the aisle devoted to tablets. Laptops? Feh! In the back of the store.

Back