• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Edward Rutherfurd

Rincewind

I read Sarum a few weeks ago and I thought it was superb. When I saw the size of the book I wasn't so sure about it, thought I might get bored or lose track. I found it riveting and Rutherfurd's research was obvioulsy quite extensive.

I've just ordered a copy of The Forest and hope this is just as good.

Does anyone else enjoy these books too?

My father (English) and my grandmother (Welsh) both love his novels. Eventually, I hope to read some but alas, they are just a few of many that are in my large 'to read' pile.

I read "The Princes of Ireland" by Edward Rutherfurd and enjoyed it. It was a "huge" book, I forget how many pages and took me a while to read. I am not a fast reader though and being a historic novel it did not go as fast as abook like Harry Potter.

magemanda said:
I read London by him and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have The Forest and Dublin in my to-read list.
I really recommend the Dublin Saga, in the U.S. it is called Princes of Ireland.

The second book of the 2 book series is titled The Rebels of Ireland and will be released in Feb of 2006. It will bring to a conclusion his history of Ireland. I look forward to its release as I really enjoyed Princes of Ireland. The early writing on the Druids was especially interesting.

I'm currently reading Dublin: Foundation - and I am SO looking forward to the next in the series.

I've sniffed at London, but since my mum only has it in Danish I didn't want to borrow it, I'd rather read it in English :p

I absolutely love Rutherfurd's language, it's hauntingly beautiful. The very first chapter in Dublin, the one called Emerald Sun was so beautiful I had to put the book away after reading those rather few pages. I simply had to sit still and digest it all. It's seldom I have such an experience language related (content-related it happens more often) but this simply beat them all. Breathtaking, plain and simple.

I had "princes if Ireland" in muy hands

when I last visited London, but put it back on the shelf because I still had "London" to read. I am sorry now I didn't buy it because I've read "London" in the meantime and truly enjoyed it. Some chapters were more captivating than others. I especillay liked the celtic and roman times. I hope to get my hands on " princes of Ireland" sooner or later.

Tamsine said:
when I last visited London, but put it back on the shelf because I still had "London" to read. I am sorry now I didn't buy it because I've read "London" in the meantime and truly enjoyed it. Some chapters were more captivating than others. I especillay liked the celtic and roman times. I hope to get my hands on " princes of Ireland" sooner or later.
The library would be one way of getting Princes of Ireland.

muggle said:
The library would be one way of getting Princes of Ireland.
You must be kidding ! Even if the book were available in French, our library surely would not to have it. Although I live in a fairly large city, our local library is a joke. I don't think they have any novels that were released after 1980. Thank heaven, we have some good bookstores and one of them sells books in English.

I like the sound of Rutherford and would like totry out some of his work. What you you suggest as a good starting place for a newbie in this area?

I particularly enjoyed 'The Forest' as I was rather interested in the history of the area. I would suggest that you choose the city you are most interested in and take it from there. I still have Sarum on my TBR pile :eek:

I have had Russka on my TBR list for ages now and would like to add more of his work but at this point it feels kinda futile. I'll get to it when I get to it I guess.

How does Rutherford compare to Michener? The works of both are immense and both are historical fiction. Are they comparable?

Tamsine said:
You must be kidding ! Even if the book were available in French, our library surely would not to have it. Although I live in a fairly large city, our local library is a joke. I don't think they have any novels that were released after 1980. Thank heaven, we have some good bookstores and one of them sells books in English.
I feel for you Tasmine. :( All cities should have good libraries. I would be lost without our library and cannot speak highly enough about it. I have yet not been able to obtain a book that I wanted from the library. If they did not have it in stock, and if I gave them the info on the book, they would buy it.

muggle said:
I feel for you Tasmine. :( All cities should have good libraries. I would be lost without our library and cannot speak highly enough about it. I have yet not been able to obtain a book that I wanted from the library. If they did not have it in stock, and if I gave them the info on the book, they would buy it.
I'm very tempted to move to your town ! I was member of an online reading club a couple of years ago. One of the reasons I quit is that I couldn't always afford to buy the book of the month, which sometimes was a rather expensive hardback. I was astonished how easily other members, especially those living in Canada and the USA could get them at their library. I guess it isn't like that everywhere. I have a friend who lives in a small town in Texas and she says she cannot find anything recent at their local library, either.

Tamsine said:
I'm very tempted to move to your town ! I was member of an online reading club a couple of years ago. One of the reasons I quit is that I couldn't always afford to buy the book of the month, which sometimes was a rather expensive hardback. I was astonished how easily other members, especially those living in Canada and the USA could get them at their library. I guess it isn't like that everywhere. I have a friend who lives in a small town in Texas and she says she cannot find anything recent at their local library, either.
My library isn't all that flash either. They do get in new books pretty quickly if they are extremely popular, but they charge $7 for 5 days for the first couple of months after they get them. But other than that, it usually takes them awhile to get the new ones in. I don't actually know if my library would get books if requested, I havn't really asked before. I guess that I'll do that tomorrow, because I really want to read a few books that they havn't got. They havn't got any Rutherford books at the moment, which is a bit of a bummer, but they might get London if I asked, because it is on the Top 100 of All Time list in the biggest bookshop in NZ (it's number 57)

MonkeyCatcher said:
My library isn't all that flash either. They do get in new books pretty quickly if they are extremely popular, but they charge $7 for 5 days for the first couple of months after they get them.
Your library *charges* for books?!?!? I don't think that fits with the definition of 'library', does it? Sounds more like 'Book Rental' to me.

Kookamoor said:
Your library *charges* for books?!?!? I don't think that fits with the definition of 'library', does it? Sounds more like 'Book Rental' to me.
I know, I think it's rather shocking as well. Well, they also charge for holds and for transporting books from one of their libraries in other towns, so it doesn't really surprise me :rolleyes:

MonkeyCatcher said:
I know, I think it's rather shocking as well. Well, they also charge for holds and for transporting books from one of their libraries in other towns, so it doesn't really surprise me :rolleyes:
I have never heard of such a thing as libraries charging for the books, that is terrible. We have 7 libraries in our system scattered among the different towns and they constantly transport books from one to the other without any charge. I have 14 musical CD's on hold at the library and they are coming from the different libraries...no charge. I also asked the library recently if they would purchase the 2 CD set of The Buddy Holly Collection and the CD Legendary Songs of Don McLean and they put the order in within a couple days......I am waiting for the CD's to come in.:)

Back