• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

eLibrarys

Alix

OK, where do I go to borrow books from eLibrarys? I have gone through the eBooks at my city library and I think I've exhausted those I'm interested in. Where else can I go?

What does "borrowing" an ebook entail? I read ebooks almost exclusively and I either buy them from Amazon or I download ones for free that are in the public domain (such as most of the classics). Are you able to borrow ebooks for free that are not in the public domain?

Yes. You can borrow Mobipocket books. You need to download the Mobi2Kindle software and then you can convert Mobipocket books to the format readable by your Kindle. I've got about 6-8 library books that I've read so far. There aren't that many that I want to read at my library so I'm trying to find other libraries where I can borrow books.

What does "borrowing" an ebook entail? I read ebooks almost exclusively and I either buy them from Amazon or I download ones for free that are in the public domain (such as most of the classics). Are you able to borrow ebooks for free that are not in the public domain?
Most major public libraries have ebooks for borrowing now. You need to be a member of the library in order to borrow. You also need to check what format (ePub, pdf, etc.) the books are in to see whether they are compatible with your device.

The books are not only those in the public domain. They are generally what's available in bookstores and libraries currently. I've found they carry the most popular (best seller list) books, rather than obscure titles.

That is pretty cool. I would definitely take advantage of that if I were back in the States but I am always stationed overseas. If anyone learns of a library doing this online I would be very interested.

Bob, if you became a member of a library (say, from your hometown in the states), you could download from their collection from anywhere in the world online. You'd just need a library card number and password.

I'm poking around in the State Library of Kansas, where one of my options it to search their database of ebooks. I've tried entering a few popular titles, but nothing shows up. I guess I need to corner someone at my local library to find out how to find all these ebooks they say we're supposed to have access to. Not that I have a kindle or nook yet, but two daughters do, and I want to find out what my library options are before I put an ereader on my Christmas/birthday/anniversary/etc list.

Back