• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Entertaining Chess Books

Halcyon

I’m looking for entertaining chess books not relating to actually playing chess.
I’ve read:
1. Chess Is My Life - Victor Korchnoi
2. Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time – David Edmonds, John Eidinow

Anyone know of any good reads that aren’t simply a tomb of games or technical manuals?

Halcyon said:
I’m looking for entertaining chess books not relating to actually playing chess.
I’ve read:
1. Chess Is My Life - Victor Korchnoi
2. Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time – David Edmonds, John Eidinow

Anyone know of any good reads that aren’t simply a tomb of games or technical manuals?

The Defence by Vladamir Nabokov......

Oh, boy!! Thanks guys! I've got them written down and hope to get my hands on one soon. I love chess, but sadly have only one friend around here that plays. I taught my girls to play, but they are 10 and 7, so a challenging game is hard to come by.

You might also be interested in Tom Standage's The Turk. It is an account of the chess-playing automaton that was a sensation in Victorian times. I haven't read it yet, but it looks pretty good. Plus, it would be nicely tangential to technical books on chess.

True@1stLight said:
Sweet, more people :D
Halycon has already pm'ed me , so if you'd like to play sometime too Cajun, send me a PM .
I tried but the forum informs me that you need to clear some junk outta your p.m. folders!

True@1stLight said:
On a side note, I can't stand Bobby Fischer :p
I was actually rooting for Spassky in Bobby Fishcer Goes to War ;)
I agree. He is also well known for his eccentricity, unconventional behavior, and outspoken, anti-semitic political views. I believe he also congratulated the 9/11 terrorists.

Back